How to make prawn crackers

worldmachine

Veteran
Local time
10:28 PM
Prawn crackers are an essential starter to a Chinese meal in my opinion. They are made up of a mixture of rice, flour and shrimp powder, which is then moulded and dried. They can be bought from Chinese supermarkets and just require deep frying at home. Here is how to do it:-

1. Allow about 6-8 pieces per diner, Place them into a deep fryer preheated to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C. (They double or even treble in size, so don't overload the fryer) After an initial whoosh and expansion give them about ten seconds more cooking, then remove from the oil with tongs and shake off the excess oil.

2. Place on absorbent kitchen paper and leave to drain and crisp up.

3. Serve warm or cold.

I bought these once! I can not even remember how I came across them, but I remember trying to communicate with the worker in the Chinese market on how to prepare them. Anyways they are pretty amazing, they are like small round flat disks, and when you drop them in hot oil they instantly puff up and expand into a puffed rice cracker of interesting shapes. The one thing I remember though was I didn't like the shrimp taste that much, in that I could eat 1 or 2 of these and it was enough. But they are really amazing to prepare!

This is what my family likes every time we are eating in a Chinese Restaurant the prawn crackers. Sometimes because of long waiting for the foods to be serve we often ask for more because it is really an appetizing starter before a meal. And if we want to eat at home we just bought a ready to cook of this in supermarkets selling international foods here in our place. All you have to do is to deep fry it in hot oil and when it cracks already it is already cooked and ready to serve and eat.

Prawn crackers are an essential starter to a Chinese meal in my opinion. They are made up of a mixture of rice, flour and shrimp powder, which is then moulded and dried. They can be bought from Chinese supermarkets and just require deep frying at home. Here is how to do it:-

1. Allow about 6-8 pieces per diner, Place them into a deep fryer preheated to 375 degrees F/190 degrees C. (They double or even treble in size, so don't overload the fryer) After an initial whoosh and expansion give them about ten seconds more cooking, then remove from the oil with tongs and shake off the excess oil.

2. Place on absorbent kitchen paper and leave to drain and crisp up.

3. Serve warm or cold.

6-8 pieces?? Tongs?? Mate, you're doing it all wrong. The best way to cook them is put as many as you can at once (my mum usually puts in 10 at a time, because our frying pan is medium sized) and then you wait until they puff up. The SECOND they do, you remove them all at once, not one at a time, because they burn SUPER quickly.

I love eating prawn crackers. All you need to have is the ready made prawn cracker from the market and right amount of oil for frying. I have quite a bad memory the first time I tried cooking this one. I burned all the crackers. LOL. I have not used the right amount of oil, but the second time I perfected it. I love to eat it with very cold beer or talking with my friends.

Clean oil at 180 degrees c
Then deep fry a few at a time and then drain well , clean oil is a must as they tend to take Colours and flavours on and absorb dirty oil as it does not achieve a suitable temperature

6-8 pieces?? Tongs?? Mate, you're doing it all wrong. The best way to cook them is put as many as you can at once (my mum usually puts in 10 at a time, because our frying pan is medium sized) and then you wait until they puff up. The SECOND they do, you remove them all at once, not one at a time, because they burn SUPER quickly.

Yup, totally agreeing with this. There are some cheap but delicious prawn crackers sold in groceries here and when I was in High School, we needed to raise funds so we would cook and sell some treats every week. There were a few weeks we did prawn crackers since they were easy to cook and really good as well. We've done the mistake of taking them out one by one before and the last few ones we took were already burned. It's also really handy if you use a strainer for this so you can get the prawns when they're cooked all at once. Cooking these take real patience because you have to look after them really well and make sure they are cooked when you take them off or not burned.

Back
Top Bottom