How to make turkey dogs taste better on the grill?

Local time
4:42 AM
My fiance and I don't eat pork, so we've been messing around with different alternatives. We've fallen in love with turkey bacon, and beef hotdogs are great, but we were looking for a way to make turkey dogs taste better since they're a bit lower in calories. Most brands I buy have sort of an awkward aftertaste. We've tried cooking them at different temperatures and for different time frames on the grill, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips that may be more effective in making turkey dogs taste a little bit better to those who are used to regular or beef hot dogs? Thanks!

If they are 100% turkey, they will almost always have that game-y poultry taste to them. You might want to try making some turkey chili to go over them, the spices may help mask the taste. Some sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard may help mask the flavor as well - plus those are low in calories. It's difficult to get a char on them since the casing is either fake, or if it is real it's probably lamb casings, but cooking it too long will still dry out the turkey itself before the casing crisps.

Even in sauces or marinades, it's going to be tough to get rid of the aftertaste left by a turkey hotdog. To be honest, I never worry about the calories in hotdogs. I could see it if you eat them several times a week, but if you do, you're not really going healthier with turkey dogs. It's not the meat that's the unhealthiest part - it's the additives that are bad for you.

Some stores sell hot dogs made 50/50 turkey and pork meats.

This could be a solution for you to cut calorie intake and yet have a better taste. Not sure if this type of hot dogs are sold everywhere though.

I often cook turkey in beef bouillon or any kind of meat stock to mask the taste. They taste well in spicy sauces (Indian or Moroccan-style) and you often forget they are made from turkey.

Back
Top Bottom