How to peel a carrot like a pro

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:21 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Sometimes I find really odd little things and today is one of those days.
This is how to peel a carrot like a pro. Yep, apparently there is a reason that veg peeler has 2 blades, it is so you use both of them! I have to confess I don't use a veg peeler, I don't even peel carrots (or most veg for that matter), but when I did peel carrots I used a paring knife, but for those who want to save a few extra seconds of their life....

The article: http://www.eatthelove.com/2014/04/peeling-carrots/

The video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XycmTVcmV2k

Well yes... any other way takes longer. I use one that looks like this:
images-2.jpeg

Some people scrape them...

That's great. I'm really slow at pealing things, but that's partly for lack of practice. I always eat the carrot peals, potatoe peels, everything. I only peak of I'm serving someone else.

I just opt for the quickest and healthiest option - I don't peel anything that does not absolutely need peeling... and even then I am tempted to find out if it really needs to be peeled or not.

I'm currently trying to think of something that really does need peeling that I eat. I don't count shelling, such as removing sweet chestnuts from their shells, or fresh broad beans from their shells (though I have heard rumours that even they are edible if the bean is young enough).

I don't suppose you really count peeling onions? (and again I have heard rumours that onion skins are edible, just hard...)

Depends on the age of the carrot whether to peel or scrub,
You should peel how you feel comfortable ,I have lost lumps of nails with new peelers trying to go to fast

I actually have peelers like the ones shown in the thread and I never or hardly ever use them. I usually grab a knife and sometimes take off too much of the carrot. I love to watch the pros and wouldn't mind looking like one but my rushing in the kitchen doesn't allow for developing the pro skills.

Believe me, peeling a carrot with one of these is not a skill at all! Put carrot on board. Stroke the peeler from top to bottom of carrot. Rotate carrot slightly. Repeat. And so on until carrot os peeled. Its MUCH much more difficult to peel a carrot with a knife!

images-2.jpeg

I sometimes leave the peels on, and other times, will remove them, depending on what the food is, I don't like cucumber peels, so almost always remove them. I usually use a peeler (as pictured above), but will sometimes use a knife. I used to love watching my grandmother peel apples with a knife, it was like watching an artist, the peel was spiral, all in one piece, and uniform.

I used to love watching my grandmother peel apples with a knife, it was like watching an artist, the peel was spiral, all in one piece, and uniform.
That is actually surprisingly easy to do with the right knife and something I do as well and also with potatoes on the rare occasion I actually peel a potato!

LOL! I guess I never thought about it. IF I choose to peel my carrot (I often leave peels on) I always used just the one blade unless I'm making carrot ribbons for a salad. I'm honestly not sure I'm coordinated enough to do the up / down - rotate thing.

My preference is for the type of peeler in the video. It's what my grandma used. It's what my mom used and I don't see the need to change to something different. Someone gave me an adorable novelty peeler with a bird body and a peeler beak that curved downward and absolutely stunk. The bird beak kept digging into whatever I was trying to peel. Sometimes the oldies but goodies are the best.

Since this thread got started, I started to use one of the peelers I had hidden away in a cupboard.It's the one with a small brush attached. It was nice and easy to use. I am wondering if the dull ones I might have used in the past might have been my turn off. Before I get all attached I am going to use it on potato and see if I can be comfortable with that.

Back
Top Bottom