How to properly ice a cake

elles-belles

Veteran
Local time
2:05 PM
I enjoy baking but have recently been put of off it due to the fact that I can't seem to ice my cakes right.
I end up feeling very frustrated and really let down because for a cake to be "perfect" one needs to get the icing just right and it also helps with the presentation of the cake!

Please help me ice my cakes just right. A step by step solution would be greatly appreciated, any help is welcomed really.

Thanks.

One thing I have found to be very important is tours a frosting tool. They are wider than table knives and it makes s huge difference in getting the frosting to spread evenly and smoothly.

I can't really give you step by step instructions as I haven't had a lot of luck with cakes yet either, but I have heard a tip or two over time that I'll be happy to share. One thing that is a must is to make sure the cake is completely cool before trying to ice it. If it try while it's still warm, you'll just end up ripping the cake to pieces. Another tip is to apply the first layer of frosting/icing as what is called a crumb layer. This is where all the little loose crumbs will get mixed into the icing. It's a base layer, so don't worry or get frustrated. It's going to be covered up by the next layer, which will be the pretty layer. I always get icing all over the plate or whatever my cake is resting on, so another good tip is to cut some wax paper or parchment paper and place it under the cake, just past the edges, so you can slowly tug it back out after you are done decorating. The dripped icing will be on the paper and your cake plate will still look great. DancingLady's advice about frosting tool is excellent. The right tool can make all the difference. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom