How to use a pressure cooker

PabloLerntKochen

Über Member
Local time
5:13 PM
[ Mod.edit: post moved from old thread (MG)]

Someone gifted me a pressure cooker via ebay and I don't have any experience with them. I asked my mom what to do with it and she doesn't know either, so can you help me with starting it? There's no description but it seems not broken. It's from the company prestige, if it's known. Stay healthy

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest you look on the Prestige Web site, find a model that matches yours and download the user manual. A pressure cooker is not something to mess around with as they can cause a lot of damage and injury if used incorrectly. I know this for sure as I witnessed what happens when you misuse a pressure cooker when I was a teen, and it was NOT pretty. It took years and years before I would get near 1 when in use, much less use 1 again, and I am very careful using it and meticulous about following the rules.

PabloLerntKochen,

I have used pressure cookers for deep fat frying. It can have special moist results for frying Chicken, for example (Refer to Broasted Chicken).

The thing with pressure cookers is that they get real hot inside and under pressure. If you open the lid without first bleeding off the pressure, you can severely burn yourself. If your pressure cooker is a good one, it should have a bleed valve. You remove the pressure cooker from heat, open the valve and let the pressure bleed off and then, in a safe place, carefully remove the lid with the valve still open. Use Pot Holders and such to handle things. And most especially, protect your eyes from the possibility of a rapid release of internal pressure with hot oil or grease. I would open a pressure cooker over or within a sink, just to be safe.

I just realized I don't have a gasket and thank you very much for your input lastmanstanding. Stay healthy

Okay, that worries me a bit. A pressure cooker is a wonderful thing, but it can bite you. Missing parts makes me worry. Look up the owner's manual online. Make sure this thing is complete, and safe to use.

My parents had one back in the 1970s. First time they used it, my dad took the weight off of the pressure relief valve, and painted the kitchen ceiling with soup. Nobody got hurt, so we got to laugh at it... well, my dad didn't think it was funny.

CD

I love using a pressure cooker and used correctly they are perfectly safe. But as everyone has already said, you do need to understand how it works and learn how to use it.

For beginners I really recommend the Hip Pressure Cooking website - it has a lot of good, reliable information. The best place to start is probably to work through the lessons on this link: learn to pressure cook

It's from the company prestige, if it's known.
I just realized I don't have a gasket

Prestige is a well known brand of pressure cookers and they do sell spares: Prestige Pressure Cooker Spare Parts but you really need to know what model yours is.

I have four of them!!

Attachments

• ninja foodi..jpg
    ninja foodi..jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 144
Anyone who's never tried using a pressure cooker, or even thinks that they're dangerous without even learning a little bit more about them, they'll quickly assume the wrong things about them. And so, one will automatically assume that the worst is going to happen. Their #1 fear above all else, believe it or not, is that it might blow up during use.

But when used properly, and according to the manufacturer's instructions, they are just as safe as an ordinary pot. I still have YET to hear about one having blown up. Because there are built-in safety features that help preclude that mishap from ever happening.

They're met with very strict manufacturing safety standards and comply with United Labratories (their 2-letter logo is stamped on these and most other comsumer products for home use), meaning that they are very safe to use and meet or exceed all safety requirements set forth by the U.S. Gov't. The only time that they would ever become dangerous to use is if the owner or consumer messes up in some way and puts himself or herself in harm's way. This is why very strict instructions are given and should be followed with each one.

Respect the unit and the use of one, and it'll give you many, many, many years of safe, trouble-free reliable and enjoyable operation. Replace the gaskets, handles and other parts when they begin to crack or wear out (I've done that with one of mine, I've replaced the gasket and handles, and it still works like new), and you'll be helping the unit maintain its reliable trouble-free & safe qualities.

In other words, treat it right, and it'll be your friend for life. Just make sure that you "dot the i's and cross the t's". That's a true guarantee! :wink:

~Shermie. :wink:

Last edited:
Well, I have heard of 1 blowing up and personally saw the aftermath, property damage and severe burns. Yes, it was misused. I still vividly remember that poor woman over 45 years later. Pressure cookers are better designed now, but there are still laws of physics you HAVE to obey. They are a great tool (and I used ours to cook our greens tonight), but you have to respect them and use them properly.

Well, I have heard of 1 blowing up and personally saw the aftermath, property damage and severe burns. Yes, it was misused. I still vividly remember that poor woman over 45 years later. Pressure cookers are better designed now, but there are still laws of physics you HAVE to obey. They are a great tool (and I used ours to cook our greens tonight), but you have to respect them and use them properly.

Yes! Very much so!!!!

I love my pressure cooker. I have the Instapot 6 Qt. I make hard boiled eggs, fried rice, eggplant, pasta, chicken and rice dishes, steamed veggies, Idaho and Sweet Potatoes, stuffped peppers, macaroni and cheese, poached chicken (sounds gross but it is so delicious) and just one pot roast. I find many of the recipes I find online are off with their cooking times and temperature levels. I am following the timings for my specific pressure cooker so beware. e.g. An eggplant parmigiana recipe said to cook on high for 9 minutes. It was MUSH. The first time I steamed broccoli, the instructions said 2 minutes for a large head. It again was mush.

I have four pressure cookers, the largest being 18 litre capacity. I use it mainly as an autoclave to sterilise Kilner jars after filling and sealing them.
The secret to using pressure cookers is to understand the heat control to prevent contents boiling while cooking.
Most problems occur when too high a heat is used with a full cooker and contents boil and block the steam vents.
If in doubt, a low heat and a barely audible hiss from the steam weight to start, then adjust heat if required.
Soups are an absolute must for a first foray into pressure cooking.

I've never pressure cooked rice. I've always waited until the chicken was done, then added the rice & cooked it normally the regular way. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom