How to use a pressure cooker

This is my 18 litre with Kilner jars of soup inside.
In December I opened a Kilner jar of curried pumpkin that had been sterilised in the pressure cooker back in 2016, and it was still perfect.
Kilner jars and pressure cookers are perfect for preserving those surplus foods that don't freeze very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot about THIS one. That's #5. It pressure-fries chicken under low pressure so that your chicken is tender & has a crispy-brown coating just like it's from KFC!! They were introduced to consumers some 40-+ years ago! This one still looks brand spanking new!! :whistling:

Last edited:
A few months ago G came home with a 6 quart Instant Pot. I did not see the point. Now I love it because of the multiple functions. I have used it to Sous Vide, pressure cook, steam, and slow cook.
PabloLerntKochen you have received lots of good advice - download a copy of the user's manual, make sure you have all of the parts, If you are ordering a gasket order a spare. The gasket is the first thing to wear out. Another thing - you need to remove all of the parts from the lid and clean after each use. The instructions will be in the manual. If you do not clean all parts after each use the steam release valve will clog and the gasket will carry odors from previous uses.
I am still having hits and misses. It takes time to learn your particular cooker.
Pressure cookers are a wonderful tool. You must follow all of the safety directions. An accident can result in major burns.
Enjoy your new toy.

A few months ago G came home with a 6 quart Instant Pot. I did not see the point. Now I love it because of the multiple functions. I have used it to Sous Vide, pressure cook, steam, and slow cook.
PabloLerntKochen you have received lots of good advice - download a copy of the user's manual, make sure you have all of the parts, If you are ordering a gasket order a spare. The gasket is the first thing to wear out. Another thing - you need to remove all of the parts from the lid and clean after each use. The instructions will be in the manual. If you do not clean all parts after each use the steam release valve will clog and the gasket will carry odors from previous uses.
I am still having hits and misses. It takes time to learn your particular cooker.
Pressure cookers are a wonderful tool. You must follow all of the safety directions. An accident can result in major burns.
Enjoy your new toy.

Yeah, with these cookers, along comes certain maitenance things that you must follow if you want it to work properly. There's no getting around it. It's a thing that you are obligated to do. :whistling:

I'm going to add since someone mentioned frying in a pressure cooker. You CANNOT fry in a pressure cooker. You MUST use a pressure fryer to fry. The gasket in a pressure cooker is NOT designed to handle hot oil and will fail. Please make sure and read the instructions and understand what your appliance can and cannot do.

I'm going to add since someone mentioned frying in a pressure cooker. You CANNOT fry in a pressure cooker. You MUST use a pressure fryer to fry. The gasket in a pressure cooker is NOT designed to handle hot oil and will fail. Please make sure and read the instructions and understand what your appliance can and cannot do.
Good point.
For over 20 years my parents owned Dairy Queen stores. Their flagship store was an old franchise that included a Broasted Chicken franchise. If you have never had Broasted Chicken you are missing a real joy. Broasted Chicken is brined and fried under pressure using a special fryer. The fryers had numerous built in safety features including automatic pressure release. All of the employees received training on how to use the fryers.
One evening the Shift Leader got in a hurry and forced the latch open as soon as the stream release started. Horrifying!!!:hyper: As soon as the seal broke hot oil shot out and hit her across her bust. I went to the ER to see her. She was jacked up on Morphine and showed me her breast. Her breast, including her nipples were a huge blister. Her recovery was long and painful. She required numerous rounds of debriding and multiple skin grafts. One thoughtless moment resulted in months of painful treatment.
The kitchen can be a dangerous place. All equipment must be treated with respect and used properly.

Like the one that I have pictured above!! I had KFC yesterday that a friend bought for me, so now, I have to wait at leat a few weeks before I have fried chicken again. It has to be eaten in moderation, you know. :wink:

The beauty of the Broasted Chicken is that the pressure keeps the natural juices in the meat and the oil out of the meat resulting in a moist, flavorful product with no oil in the meat. I know of only one location in Lafayette that serves Broasted Chicken. The location is perfect - near the University and the Oil Center which is now a major medical complex. The store is on the corner of two heavily traveled streets. Abe makes a killing on lunch. The proceeds of one day's lunch equals a weeks worth of morning and evening sales. He has a gold mine.

My first pressure cooker was aluminum. I didn't know any better. After 6 months of use, the insides starting pitting. Manufacturer told me not to use it anymore since the walls were being eaten away. S.S. ever since.

My first pressure cooker was aluminum. I didn't know any better. After 6 months of use, the insides starting pitting. Manufacturer told me not to use it anymore since the walls were being eaten away. S.S. ever since.

My first one was aluminum also. I, also, had the same problem & I, also, switched to stainless steel!! It does not pit or anything. Been happy with it ever since!! :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom