Hurricane Sally

It is not close to EB. She will probably get some heavy rain, but she should be okay, otherwise.

This thing, unlike Laura, is moving at a very slow pace. That means it will rain for a long time wherever it goes. So, flooding is going to be the big risk with this hurricane. That's what happened with Harvey a few years back, that devastated large areas of SE Texas, including the major metropolitan area of Houston (7-million people).

When it comes to hurricanes, you want them to get in, and get out FAST!

CD

It is not close to EB. She will probably get some heavy rain, but she should be okay, otherwise.

This thing, unlike Laura, is moving at a very slow pace. That means it will rain for a long time wherever it goes. So, flooding is going to be the big risk with this hurricane. That's what happened with Harvey a few years back, that devastated large areas of SE Texas, including the major metropolitan area of Houston (7-million people).

When it comes to hurricanes, you want them to get in, and get out FAST!

CD

Moving at 2 mph but the frightening thing is 5 more forming behind Sally. It's not good.
I thought it had fizzed, but I was wrong.

Russ

CD is correct. Sally came in far to the East. Early in the season (Hurricane Season) meteorologist were predicting a very active season. They were right. Slow moving storms like Sally dump huge amounts of rain and cause lots of flooding. Laura blew through like a fast moving freight train - not as much flooding but massive wind damage. Laura maintained hurricane strength all the way through Louisiana and into Arkansas. We did not even lose power here. George and his son spent three days at our fishing camp on Toledo Bend Reservoir. One large tree and one small tree fell. The outer branches raked the rear corner or the mobile home - nothing serious. The problem was removing the trees and repairing the electrical power head. They were very fortunate. A friend lent them a small Kubota tractor with a front end loader. A neighbor showed up on a tractor with a fork attachment. Nothing was lost in the refrigerator or freezer. The power is back on and all is good.

CD is correct. Sally came in far to the East. Early in the season (Hurricane Season) meteorologist were predicting a very active season. They were right. Slow moving storms like Sally dump huge amounts of rain and cause lots of flooding. Laura blew through like a fast moving freight train - not as much flooding but massive wind damage. Laura maintained hurricane strength all the way through Louisiana and into Arkansas. We did not even lose power here. George and his son spent three days at our fishing camp on Toledo Bend Reservoir. One large tree and one small tree fell. The outer branches raked the rear corner or the mobile home - nothing serious. The problem was removing the trees and repairing the electrical power head. They were very fortunate. A friend lent them a small Kubota tractor with a front end loader. A neighbor showed up on a tractor with a fork attachment. Nothing was lost in the refrigerator or freezer. The power is back on and all is good.

Great news. Could have been worse.

Russ

It puts into perspective the rather feeble Bura wind that blew at 45 mph with gusts of 60 mph. It get us here because the house is built on a mountain slope to the sea. The only damage was whilst we were asleep. It blew two window mosquito screens in. I woke up to four itching welts. I'm allergic to the little...........

It puts into perspective the rather feeble Bura wind that blew at 45 mph with gusts of 60 mph. I get us here because the house is built on a mountain slope to the sea. The only damage was whilst we were asleep. It blew two window mosquito screens in. I woke up to four itching welts. I'm allergic to the little...........

I live on a big, flat prairie. We get those kind of winds often in storms. We just go out after the storm and gather up our patio furniture, and try to figure out whose patio umbrella is in our yard and return it to them -- what's left of it.

CD

Last edited:
I live on a big, flat prairie. We get those kind of winds often in storms. We just go out after the storm and gather up our patio furniture, and try to figure out whose patio umbrella is in our yard and return it to them -- what's left of it.

CD
That's funny - our road (and the houses on it) are all situated west-to-east, and weather usually comes out of the west.

We're prone to strong straight-line winds and the occasional tornado, so the habit around here is that we all head to the far fence of the last neighbor, which is where all our patio furniture, trash bins, and whatever else we left out will be gathered up like fish in a net. :laugh:

That's funny - our road (and the houses on it) are all situated west-to-east, and weather usually comes out of the west.

We're prone to strong straight-line winds and the occasional tornado, so the habit around here is that we all head to the far fence of the last neighbor, which is where all our patio furniture, trash bins, and whatever else we left out will be gathered up like fish in a net. :laugh:

Pretty much every single-family home in Dallas has a six-foot or eight-foot privacy fence. So, it seems to be just umbrellas and ez-ups that make it very far.

CD

We have run through the alphabet on storm names. So, now we are into the Greek alphabet. Tropical Storm Beta is heading for the Texas Gulf Coast now.

CD

The worse should have missed Epicuric

Back
Top Bottom