Husband and I took the plunge....

megshoe

Veteran
Local time
4:32 PM
...and purchased a plot of land!

We live in Germany (I'm American, he's German), right in the center of Wine Country. It's pretty rural out here and our backyard is a sprawling series of vineyards owned by our neighbors. An older lady who lives next door told us she was selling off a plot of land nearby and we finally decided to buy it to get more serious about our home-growing (food of course...). We're thinking fruit trees right now...We have some fig stalks from another neighbors, we've got raspberries, strawberries, various vegetables, even some roses and the like. Maybe we're being too ambitious...We'd really like to get off on the right foot! Just thought I'd share, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated :)

I would suggest that if you are thinking about fruit trees, think quickly. Fruit trees can take several years to mature so the sooner you plant them the sooner you can enjoy the harvest. There are a great variety of types of fruit available and the size of the tree can be determined by the root stock so you should be able to find trees to suit your space. It is worthwhile to learn a little about pruning trees correctly but otherwise fruit trees don't require a huge amount of time to maintain. Berries and other vegetables require a little more care and attention, but if you have the space and the dedication, you should have a great crop.

Oh but fruit trees take years to mature and bear fruits! Maybe you can plant some, then venture more into vegetables like tomatoes and eggplants. They grow and produce vegetables in just a few months. You can divide your lot into small patches, so you can have different ones dedicated for different plants/trees.

That sounds beautiful! I love orchards. If you're in the center of wine country, maybe a vineyard and advice for its upkeep would keep you getting on well with your neighbors and connected with the community and all that. The roses and the like can also be dried to make teas. (I'm guessing. I don't know much about rose varieties.)

I hope that you'll attract exactly as many earthworms, ladybirds, and pollinating insects as you need. : )

Wow that sounds gorgeous. I can hardly wait to see how this all shapes up. Please share pictures, recipes thoughts on the process with us if you are comfortable doing so.

I wish I was fortunate enough to own some land. In addition to soft fruits I would also grow salad vegetables in summer, and create a herb garden. I would also plant some winter vegetables and potatoes. If you want eggs, milk and meat you could also use it to keep chickens and goats.

We live in Germany (I'm American, he's German), right in the center of Wine Country. It's pretty rural out here and our backyard is a sprawling series of vineyards owned by our neighbors. An older lady who lives next door told us she was selling off a plot of land nearby and we finally decided to buy it to get more serious about our home-growing (food of course...). We're thinking fruit trees right now...We have some fig stalks from another neighbors, we've got raspberries, strawberries, various vegetables, even some roses and the like. Maybe we're being too ambitious...We'd really like to get off on the right foot! Just thought I'd share, any and all advice is welcome and appreciated :)

You may want to have a look in the garden forum, you might find a lot of useful information in there.

Good luck with your plot of land, harvesting home grown crops is very rewarding :thumbsup:

Congratulations on this new venture! There's always that risk when you're starting out, but I personally believe a fruit and vegetable farm business is awesome. In fact, if I had enough capital with me, I'd buy a vineyard at the border between France and Italy, where mulberry trees grow. You're going to soar high, no doubt about it. And the backdrop you just described reminds me of a fairytale scenery. Perhaps you can start by interacting with your neighbors and letting them know you're growing rich fruits and vegetables. A healthy word-of-mouth will enhance your reputation.

Back
Top Bottom