I Collect Cook Books, Do You?

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
11:25 AM
I must admit that I have a problem. I collect cook books as well as cooking magazines that I find standing in the grocery line. I have older cook books and brand new ones as well. I have subscribed to so many cooking magazines over the years that I have a book case shelf full of them. I just cannot seem to resist them. Even though there are tons of recipes online, I am still addicted to cook books. Are you addicted to cook books and do you collect them as well?

Nope. In fact I wonder how quickly they will become obsolete.

I don't save recipes either. I use the computer for all things cooking, and when I find something I like, I just google the same thing again and remember which one I used.

I like the computer because you can read all the comments and figure out what needs to be tweaked or stuff that doesn't work. I also think the pictures are often more accurate. I don't know. I think cook books are quickly going to become a thing of the past. Sad for some, but we're no longer living in such a generation, you know?

I do have some cookbooks, but also have a policy of only keeping a book if I have cooked something from it in the last 12 months. Magazines are ruthlessly gone through and any recipes I have cokked go into one pile (and get put into my A4 cookbook of nice recipes) and any that look interesting and would be something we would eat get put into another pile to be scanned into the computer for storage. The rest of the magazine is recycled.

With this method, I have the cookbooks down to around 12-15 and several hundred scanned recipes on the laptop.

Nope. In fact I wonder how quickly they will become obsolete.

I don't save recipes either. I use the computer for all things cooking, and when I find something I like, I just google the same thing again and remember which one I used.

I like the computer because you can read all the comments and figure out what needs to be tweaked or stuff that doesn't work. I also think the pictures are often more accurate. I don't know. I think cook books are quickly going to become a thing of the past. Sad for some, but we're no longer living in such a generation, you know?

Just a word of warning, you might want to book mark those recipes you like. I found a perfect pizza crust recipe and I printed it off. Well I lost it and could not find it online again. Fortunately for me I did find the original printed version that I had lost.

I do have some cookbooks, but also have a policy of only keeping a book if I have cooked something from it in the last 12 months. Magazines are ruthlessly gone through and any recipes I have cokked go into one pile (and get put into my A4 cookbook of nice recipes) and any that look interesting and would be something we would eat get put into another pile to be scanned into the computer for storage. The rest of the magazine is recycled.

With this method, I have the cookbooks down to around 12-15 and several hundred scanned recipes on the laptop.

I have thought about scanning all of the frequently used recipes that I like from the cookbooks. I highly doubt that I would ever get rid of my cookbooks even if I did this.

I have thought about scanning all of the frequently used recipes that I like from the cookbooks. I highly doubt that I would ever get rid of my cookbooks even if I did this.

I scanned them becuase I sold everything we owned (except for around 6 boxes) and went off to cycle around the world. I reckonned it was the lightest way to carry my recipes! When we got home, as we started using them again, we printed them off and those used were put into the new recipes book. (I don't like laptops in kitchens being an IT Engineer).

I was addicted to cooking books and cooking magazines. I collected like a hundred in very few time back in the 1990s, but as the computer began to be the center of my universe, I began to put into digital format most of my favorite recipes and eventually I stopped doing this just to collect recipes inside the different cooking sites I'm subscribed to.

I scanned them becuase I sold everything we owned (except for around 6 boxes) and went off to cycle around the world. I reckonned it was the lightest way to carry my recipes! When we got home, as we started using them again, we printed them off and those used were put into the new recipes book. (I don't like laptops in kitchens being an IT Engineer).

Ah ha! I see. Cycling around the world sounds fun. I bet you got to experience all kinds of different meals and dishes! I must admit that I would rather have a printed version in the kitchen myself.

I was addicted to cooking books and cooking magazines. I collected like a hundred in very few time back in the 1990s, but as the computer began to be the center of my universe, I began to put into digital format most of my favorite recipes and eventually I stopped doing this just to collect recipes inside the different cooking sites I'm subscribed to.

I must admit that I don't collect books as often as I use to. I might see a magazine in the grocery store check out that I cannot resist and I will buy it on impulse if I have the cash on me. I also will pick up old cook books that look interesting to me from yard sales, flea markets and consignment shops too. I must admit that I am highly addicted to Pinterest!

I do have some cookbooks and food magazines that I usually buy at the bookstores but it is for some reference and guide only for my cooking. I always like to experiment and innovate recipes and always cooked it many times and when my family say that it is already the best taste then I record the final recipe for a certain dish and that is already my recipe every time I am cooking.

This would certainly make finding them so much faster and easier. You'd probably keep the cook books as decorations though. :p

I own only one cook book and that was a birthday gift from a LOOONG time ago.

Back
Top Bottom