I don't care for mole

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
1:01 AM
Mole is a Mexican chocolate sauce that is used in many Mexican dishes, but I have never liked it much. It is a sweet sauce and that is probably why I don't as I do not care much for BBQ sauce either. Am I the only one that dislikes mole?

Mole to me is a velvet coated blind vermin that digs up the lawn
To the best of my knowledge I don't think we have yet taken to eating them though!

I have to say this chap looks quite happy about the situation as well.
mole2.jpg

Had a quick surf It's appears to be a acquired taste different degrees of heat and qualities of chocolate
Some positive but more negative comments

Mole is a Mexican chocolate sauce that is used in many Mexican dishes, but I have never liked it much. It is a sweet sauce and that is probably why I don't as I do not care much for BBQ sauce either. Am I the only one that dislikes mole?

I have made mole several times in the past. It should taste hot and spicy and shouldn't be over sweet. Its a kind of Mexican version of curry. In fact, not all moles contain chocolate or anything sweet. It is rather time consuming to make and requires a mix of different types of chilli both fresh and dried,such as Problano and Ancho. In some ways a Chilli con Carne is a related dish, but much less complex. And...if you've never tried it, put a few squares of really dark chocolate into a Chilli next time you make it. It won't make it taste sweet but will give depth to the sauce (its a trick I've been using for years).

I have made mole several times in the past. It should taste hot and spicy and shouldn't be over sweet. Its a kind of Mexican version of curry. In fact, not all moles contain chocolate or anything sweet. It is rather time consuming to make and requires a mix of different types of chilli both fresh and dried,such as Problano and Ancho. In some ways a Chilli con Carne is a related dish, but much less complex. And...if you've never tried it, put a few squares of really dark chocolate into a Chilli next time you make it. It won't make it taste sweet but will give depth to the sauce (its a trick I've been using for years).

I'm curious now...I make chili fairly regularly so I might give the dark chocolate in it a try. Then if I feel like that wasn't too bad maybe mole sauce is next. I love curries and your analogy that it's somewhat in line with a Mexican curry has swayed me!

Heard of it but I've never either tried it or seen it.
PS as for eating the garden variety - give Bear Grylls a ring, he's usually in competition with them for worms anyway.

I tried mole in a Mexican restaurant and they must not have made it right because it tasted like chocolate sauce was poured over my chicken. Completely ruined the meal for me.

I tried mole in a Mexican restaurant and they must not have made it right because it tasted like chocolate sauce was poured over my chicken. Completely ruined the meal for me.
I think this really ids the trouble. There are literally hundreds of different recipes for Mole and some will be at the sweeter end. The one's I made definitely weren't sweet because I used really dark bitter chocolate (95%). But there are recipes out there which contain sweet chocolate and sometimes raisins. I expect it was one of the latter which you ate. I wouldn't like that either.

I've never been a fan of mole. I grew up in Albuquerque, NM and my girlfriends grandma makes an amazing mole.
However, there is a twist. She doesn't use chocolate sauce. She uses peanut butter based sauce and it is incredible.
For a while I thought this was the way mole was made originally and made myself sound stupid at work when I told my
coworkers, "I hate chocolate mole. It's all about the peanut sauce!" They looked at me like I was the biggest idiot ever.

Back
Top Bottom