I need kitchen ideas

Puggles

Veteran
Local time
10:18 AM
I'm remodeling my kitchen in the near future and I need ideas to make the awesomest kitchen ever. Lots of storage, I'm getting rid of an entire room to expand my kitchen and putting in an island and cabinets and stuff. I need ideas that will make the internet jealous 😂, but also be very convenient for my kitchen. What cool kitchen things are there to implement in the remodeling?

Islands are great, if you can make one large enough to be usable. My parents had a great one (I'll post a photo later). There was a large cooktop, and lots of room for prep work to one side. I could really set up my mise en place and cook on that island.

Don't forget your "work triangle" for your sink, stove and fridge.

CD

Room for larger/taller kitchen gadgets like blenders, fryers, food processors, wine decanters, etc..those things take a lot of room..I have to keep some in the basement. Pain in the butt having to go and get them sometimes..

I’m really looking forward to seeing what you think up. I love kitchen design, but don’t know the first thing about it.

Can you post some pics of your current kitchen? That might help with generating some ideas.

Room for larger/taller kitchen gadgets like blenders, fryers, food processors, wine decanters, etc..those things take a lot of room..I have to keep some in the basement. Pain in the butt having to go and get them sometimes..
I keep all those things in one of my closets. I only bring them out when I'm about to use one of them. :whistling:

I dont know how many you cook for? But I had a table extension made to add on to our table that seats 6. We now seat 10. After people go its moved outside. Painted so its waterproof and under cover.
Made a huge difference to my kitchen!!

Russ

One thing I hate is having to dig around for something in the back of a cabinet, so I’d have every cabinet made with pull-out shelves to give me easy access to everything.

I’d also have a walk-in pantry.

I like the idea of storing a lot of things out in the open, as long as it doesn’t look cluttered. Dutch ovens are pretty to look at, I think, so I like those skinny vertical shelves that they always display those on in the shops, the ones with the biggest DO on the bottom, the smallest on top, and all the other sizes in between.

Consider if you have room for overhead pan racks. They come it all shapes and sizes, from small corner ones to massive ones over the center of the kitchen. I put one up years ago, just a small one, and it was amazing how much cabinet space it freed up.

Google some pics of professional chefs’ home kitchens, or celebrity chefs’. Jacques Pépin (in one of his three home kitchens) had a huge wall space covered with rustic reclaimed barn siding and fitted it with hooks for holding all his favorite pots and pans.

Consider putting up a pegboard, painted or wallpapered to make it more attractive, to hold your everyday utensils. I put a small one up and again, completely blown away by how much drawer space it saved me, and also made getting to them much, much easier.

Can’t wait to see what you do! I love kitchens!

There are two things I'd suggest which are great fore storage and for making sure you can 'see' things you are storing. Firstly a 'pull out' larder. I have a narrow one which just fits into the corner of my small kitchen. I'll try to find a photo. The other is pull out deep drawers rather than cupboards. Great for storing pots and pans.

Another thought (which I had once in a rented property) is a ceiling suspended rack over the 'island' from which you can hang frequently used pot and pans from hooks. I'm sure there's a name for it...

There are two things I'd suggest which are great fore storage and for making sure you can 'see' things you are storing. Firstly a 'pull out' larder. I have a narrow one which just fits into the corner of my small kitchen. I'll try to find a photo. The other is pull out deep drawers rather than cupboards. Great for storing pots and pans.

Another thought (which I had once in a rented property) is a ceiling suspended rack over the 'island' from which you can hang frequently used pot and pans from hooks. I'm sure there's a name for it...
We’re thinking along the same lines!

What’s your kitchen like now, big…small…open…galley or U-shaped or L-shaped?

We need pics! :laugh:

I love a good "before" and "after" and would love to see your kitchen if you'd like to share 🤩 I think in order for us to help you we'd need more details like the size of the kitchen, what's your decorating style and how you plan to use the kitchen (do you host a lot of parties at home, how many people you usually cook for, what dishes you prepare most often, etc).

Back
Top Bottom