Ideas for a dinner party menu

MrMajeika

Local time
5:58 AM
Hi guys still fairly new here so hope I've posted in the correct section. We have a couple of friends coming for dinner this weekend. Struggling to decide what to make. There will be four of us. I like Italian food so will maybe go along that theme. I want to try and do some things that can be made in advance as I don't want to be stressing too much when they arrive.

Can't decide to do maybe several mixed starters that people help themselves to and then a nice main course. Things I have in my mind are bruschetta and maybe some salads (not sure what) and maybe aubergine parmigiana.

For the main course I really can't decide. Maybe something simple like chicken thighs with rosemary and garlic? But then if I make that what do I serve it with. Or I could just do something like this Stracotto. Looks delicious and could just serve it up on a big platter and everyone can help themselves.

Any advice?

All you mention sound good - the Jami Oliver Stracotto would be a great but the chicken thighs might be easier.

Hi - the one thing I keyed in on what you said was "several starters" - my advice would be to focus instead on one set menu and do it really well, as opposed to several options. Each dish is an opportunity for stress, and trying to execute several starters and a main dish (and I'm assuming some kind of dessert) can get overwhelming very quickly.

That's how it is with me, anyway. The one proper party we've ever done...I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown before everyone arrived, mainly due to a menu of just appetizers and drinks. I chose too many, because I was trying to anticipate everyone's every possible like and dislike.

Even now, when we usually just have one other couple over, I have to really exercise some restraint, because I always take on more than I can handle, and it doesn't take much for it to spiral out of control.

I'd recommend doing something like a cocktail hour course, where you've selected a single nice cocktail you can mix in a pitcher, along with wine and beer and whatever soft drinks, since you can just have those at the ready, and something simple like roasted candied nuts or mixed olives.

After that, a simple greens salad, tossed in an elegant little vinaigrette - if you want to keep an Italian theme going, Prosseco makes a wonderful ingredient in vinaigrette.

There are plenty of options for a main dish, but for a dinner party with another couple, I really favor a nice one-pot meal, so you're really only worrying about one side at the most.

For dessert, maybe a budini (or is it budino?) with seasonal fruit? It's just fruit, mascarpone, maybe an Italian cookie tucked in there, and a little Marsala mixed it. Really simple, with a little elegance, and very low effort. Some nice bread and a bit of cheese to go along with all that, and you'll be the hero of the night!

Both of your replies sound great. I agree I'm the same I take too much on. One pot sounds a good idea. Any suggestions?

Edit: just thought of a paella but then what would I serve with it. Or maybe a slow cooked beef stew with mashed potato and a veg? Thought maybe a chilli con carne made with beef shin instead of mince but then what sort of starter would go south that

Last edited:
Also, if you are making a paella with seafood, you'll have to be paying attention to it while your guests are present.

We have friends over regularly. I do either 1) easy set of three things. A garlic bread then a large main and a simple cheesecake or similar.
Or 2) garlic bread with a small entree, maybe pate? Or croquettes. Then a main maybe a fillet Mignon and sides then home made apple crumble. All are faves here by all. One involves s lot of work , the other a lot less.

Russ

I always recommend that people go with something they have made before, and know how to make well. Never try something new with guests coming over. If they are really friends, the food just needs to taste good, not impress. Besides, the best part of eating a meal with friends is the fellowship and conversation.

CD

I always recommend that people go with something they have made before, and know how to make well. Never try something new with guests coming over. If they are really friends, the food just needs to taste good, not impress. Besides, the best part of eating a meal with friends is the fellowship and conversation.

CD

Our friends are regulars but birthdays I make them something special. then it's a game of euchre, and that gets very very funny.

Russ

Our friends are regulars but birthdays I make them something special. then it's a game of euchre, and that gets very very funny.

Russ

Yeah, if a friend makes a request for something, I'll do it, but I warn them up front if I have never made it before. Cooking is my hobby, which means I do it for fun and to relieve stress. I'm not going to make it stressful if I can avoid it.

CD

Yeah, if a friend makes a request for something, I'll do it, but I warn them up front if I have never made it before. Cooking is my hobby, which means I do it for fun and to relieve stress. I'm not going to make it stressful if I can avoid it.

CD

Same here, but I do make an effort, and only tried and trusted meals.

Russ

My wife says beef stew sounds great. Made a beef and ale stew with mustard dumplings before which is delicious. What would you serve with it? Maybe mashed potato and some greens. Is it exciting enough? Or maybe an oxtail stew and serve with tagliatelle mixed with some of the sauce.

Can't decide on starter. Fancy making my own focaccia but seems a bit random. What else with it?

Back
Top Bottom