If you could offer one word of advice...

dustysmommy2013

Veteran
Local time
3:42 AM
If you could offer one word of advice to a new cook, what would it be?

I would tell them what worked for me. "If you're a new cook, the best thing to do is follow the recipe the first time. After that, don't be afraid to make it your own! It's usually better that way!"

What would you say?

Patience. Take your time, read the recipe carefully and follow directions. If you read you can cook but be patient with the process.

Turn the heat down. Don't try to cook things to fast. Slower is better. Faster means burnt stuff.. and yes I am speaking from experience although it was 40 years ago that I made this mistake.

Don't try to deviate yet. You are not at the level of deviating or creating your own recipes. If you try, it will probably turn out disastrous. Trust me, this is from experience. Don't try to alternate or cut out things, because it may be important and could possibly ruin the dish. Once you get the hang of a recipe then find an alternative for some of the ingredients. Some of the changes you make will be awful and others will be amazing. Remain diligent in your quest of cooking.

Cook within your experience. Don't start trying to learn by cooking a big meal or a dish that has too many steps. Make something simple like mac and cheese or other pastas. Have it with a salad and when it comes out right, take a photo of it!

I'd say it's best to learn the feel of it in terms of the use of fire and all the scientific causes and effects of each ingredient and tool, because having a good feel of the basics will give you the structure needed to be able to combine and use methods and ingredients with more confidence.

Use the best ingredients you can and make it simple. You don't need 75 ingredients to make something amazing. Instead look to bring out the best in one ingredient, usually by sauteeing it in some kind of fat and adding seasonings like a little salt and pepper. Uncomplicated foods are easy, quick, and taste best when not fiddled with.

I would say "Enjoy cooking - don't think of it as a chore!" I don't think beginners should be too concerned about their food preparation. They will soon learn which methods are best and what works well for them. If they think it's hard work then it will be. Cooking should be an enjoyable experience.

If you could offer one word of advice to a new cook, what would it be?

I would tell them what worked for me. "If you're a new cook, the best thing to do is follow the recipe the first time. After that, don't be afraid to make it your own! It's usually better that way!"

What would you say?

I actually kind of disagree with this. I say, when it comes to reading recipes online, read the comments. Most often, if something could be better or easier, or if something didn't work, people post about it in the comments. More often than not I have totally saved a dish by making an adjustment recommended in the comments. I also think that you can trust your gut when it comes to reading recipes. Most often I use them as a guide or a place to get ideas, but I'm not actually one to follow a recipe perfectly, even the first time.

If I could offer one word of advice to a new cook it would be...

Not all people had a passion for cooking. But if you are really interested to learn how to cook it is just easy. All you have to do is choose simple dishes first that are easy to cook. Then later on when you are already a good cook you can try cooking some special dishes . Cooking needs patience but its enjoyable!

Back
Top Bottom