If you could only eat the cuisine from one country

I've been avoiding this topic since I have no good answer. Being from the greatest "melting pot" in the world, it is too difficult for me to even think of an answer.

I might be able to narrow it down to 4 or 5 continents at best.

:smug:

Is the US a greater melting pot than UK? I suppose it may be...

Not only the US, but NYC in particular.

I read a stat recently that said there are upwards of 800 languages spoken in NY.

Not only the US, but NYC in particular.

I read a stat recently that said there are upwards of 800 languages spoken in NY.

More than London:
In the past six or seven years, London has become the Babel of the modern world. More than a third of Londoners are now foreign born - that's around 2.5 million people. Our city encompasses more than 270 nationalities and 300 languages
.http://www.standard.co.uk/news/270-...ons-of-workers-is-driving-london-6572417.html

"More than 300 different languages are now spoken in British schools with English-speaking pupils becoming a minority in hundreds of classrooms, a new investigation has revealed.

There are 1.1 million children who speak 311 dialects and in some schools English speakers are the minority, the inquiry revealed.

In other schools, no pupil has English as a first language, a Daily Express investigation based on Department for Education data showed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...es-spoken-in-British-schools-report-says.html

Some of the best food I've eaten was in the Philippines. With the natural richness of the available seafood, tropical fruit and veggies, the use of squid ink, and the sauces, influenced by the Spanish who controlled the Philippines for from a long time Created rich flavors that can go toe-to-toe with any food, anywhere in the world. And there are many parallels with cuisine from china, Japan, Korea, etc. Plus, once you got away from the military bases, and into places where ordinary people lived, the people were great. My sadness is that like so many places in the world, violence is growing as one faction or another is vying for control. But don't get me started down that road. Pilippino food is exemplary. I could eat it all day long, every day. Oh, but wait, they don't have liverwurst, pate's, 5 year aged cheddars, Cher-Make brand hot dogs, etc. But if I had to choose, and you could remove politics, and people who love to hate each other, that would be my culinary paradise.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind
"There is no success that justifies failure within the home.

I would say Portugal/Spain (I know that's 2..but they are closely related food wise). Fish/seafood a main staple and my wife and I are fish addicts. A nice glass of sangria an added pleasure. :hungry::)

I would say Portugal/Spain (I know that's 2..but they are closely related food wise). Fish/seafood a main staple and my wife and I are fish addicts. A nice glass of sangria an added pleasure. :hungry::)
I could cope with that - as long as I could also lay my hands on some hot chillies.

Absolutely agree. It love both Portugal and Spain. My choice is for Spain because is very similar to Italian food. Once I've tasted sangria with cinnamon Powder...wow.

What would you would you choose if you had to decide on one country's cuisine as your diet? We are referring here to the national cooking of that country. This is a difficult thing when it comes to the USA, UK, Canada and Australia and probably elsewhere - as there are so many ethnic influences that its almost impossible to define an ethnic cuisine. But anyway - which country would you decide on, if you had to live on that diet for the foreseeable future? Not your own country, I should add.

I could never chose a specific country, because all the ones I like have regional/ethnic food, many of which have been adopted and changed by those countries.

Mexico is a country with regional cuisine. Some ingredients, especially chilis are only grown in certain regions.

Well yes - but if you could only eat cuisine from one country then that would include food from all that country's regions. Its just a silly hypothetical question really.

Back
Top Bottom