If you have a bad experience with a cuisine, do you ever try it again?

If you have a bad experience with a cuisine, do you ever try it again?

• No. If it's bad the first time, I expect it's not something I will ever like

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. I will give it at least one more try.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Yes. I will keep trying. If so many people love it, I must not be trying the best version of it.

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Oysters. Tried them three times - vomited each time. I think I'm done, but I did give them a second and even third chance.

Sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction, which is not uncommon with oysters, and other shellfish.

I like oysters cooked, but not raw.

CD

Oysters. Tried them three times - vomited each time. I think I'm done, but I did give them a second and even third chance.

One of my top favourite foods. And right now I'm missing them. Do you think your reaction was psychological? Some folk are actually allergic to them.

I've had escargot twice. The first time it was exquisite. The second time, I couldn't get it down. Different quality snails? Different level of chef? But, now I am reluctant to order them.

CD
Besides what you noted, could be how long they've sat in the freezer as well. The place where we get truffles and caviar carries other fine foods, including White Toque escargot, some of which come already stuffed with the butter. He bought 3 packages, 12 each, first time. The first 2 were great. The third after being in the deep freeze for a good while, not so great. He's bought single packs since and they've been good.

I've had escargot twice. The first time it was exquisite. The second time, I couldn't get it down. Different quality snails? Different level of chef? But, now I am reluctant to order them.
My wife tried escargot for the first time on a cruise ship in 2012. She even planned it ahead of time and looked forward to it:

"So...how are they?"

"OMG, they're delicious! Very garlicky and lots of butter."

<Stops eating after the second one, and has the waiter take them away>

"What? You're not eating the rest?"

"God no. They're snails. They're good, but they're snails!"

:laugh:

Sounds like you may have had an allergic reaction, which is not uncommon with oysters, and other shellfish.

I like oysters cooked, but not raw.

CD

Don't know if it's an allergy - I have allergies (dust, pollen, etc.) that cause histamine reactions - this didn't do that. I think it was more the taste I wasn't used to, plus it's texture that caused it to resurface.

One of my top favourite foods. And right now I'm missing them. Do you think your reaction was psychological? Some folk are actually allergic to them.

Yes. I think it's more psychological - the taste and texture. I kept telling myself 'maybe it's because you just haven't had a good one'..

My wife tried escargot for the first time on a cruise ship in 2012. She even planned it ahead of time and looked forward to it:

"So...how are they?"

"OMG, they're delicious! Very garlicky and lots of butter."

<Stops eating after the second one, and has the waiter take them away>

"What? You're not eating the rest?"

"God no. They're snails. They're good, but they're snails!"
I've always loved snails done with garlic butter ad a splash of white wine..many years ago while at a specialty food store, I found a large can of snails..It was a really big can, bigger than the smaller ones you normally get...so, I bought it and scurried home to get my fill..turns out there were way too many and I ate so many snails, I became queasy and had to stop. I turned myself off of them for many years...now, I know why they sell them in tiny cans..so people like me don't hurt themselves...

I love them...I get tired of the shucking and the mess...

I don't mind that - a good shucking knife is essential. I had a really expensive one that was rubbish. I began to think I was just bad at shucking. Then I bought a cheap one (made in France) from Whitstable fish market and it works a dream.

Generally we sell 500-1000 oysters a week. Not the case a few decades ago. As well as snails. I think it's a cultural thing. With the exception of the east coast it just wasn't on the minds of diners. I love both but I've had both served to me many times where if I wasn't accustomed to having them I probably would have not bothered going forward. Some chefs/cooks are just shoemakers and it's inevitable. And of course the quality and varietal makes a big difference. Some west coast oysters have a milky consistency that doesn't appeal to me.

Generally we sell 500-1000 oysters a week.

OK - I might get fed up shucking that many!
And of course the quality and varietal makes a big difference. Some west coast oysters have a milky consistency that doesn't appeal to me.

Absolutely. Rock oysters are the main type easily available here but are generally saltier. But there are also native oysters here which look different (flatter shells) and much harder to shuck. They are only available in certain months of the year and are more expensive. They are much less saltier and very complex in taste.

The taste of oysters varies a lot depending on the variety and where they are grown.

Back
Top Bottom