I'm a cooking nerd...

paulbutten

Local time
11:40 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm a big fan of precision cooking and molecular gastronomy. I'm obsessed with tools like sous-vide and other next generation smart-cooking appliances that help us home chefs do a better job with less effort.

Anyone out there into the science of cooking as well?

Best,
Paul

Welcome! My wife dabbles in Mole Gas, but I prefer regular methods, especially low and slow BBQ.

Hi Paul

Welcome to CookingBites :welcome:

We're not particularly well represented here in your preferred area of cooking, however should you show willing and want to start plenty of discussions in this field we can easily create a new area of the forum for you if it is needed .

SNSSO
(Site Owner)

Hi everyone!

I'm a big fan of precision cooking and molecular gastronomy. I'm obsessed with tools like sous-vide and other next generation smart-cooking appliances that help us home chefs do a better job with less effort.

Best,
Paul

Hi Paul!

Being as how I shattered a glass top to my flour canister tonight and then proceeded to dump my beer all over my cutting board and floor... I can definitely say I've considered the exactness that science could bring to my kitchen! However, apparently, the means to harness science eludes me :) I'm going back to the days of my great-grandma where digital scales did not exist, lol.

Welcome, I'm new myself. Room for all kinds of cooks here, it seems :)

:welcome: No weird and wonderful modern appliances here either, I'm afraid. My cooking revolves around a hob, an oven, and one triple and one single slow cooker. I do have some glass digital scales but that's about it :laugh:

Hi everyone!

Best,
Paul

Welcome!

I have not got into the science of gastronomy but I've always wanted to. It's time to bite the bullet I think and learn some new tricks, I have a chef at work who does alot with it.

Yes, though I've given myself a bit of a break from such things lately. Even though what you say is correct about such cooking tools making things easier in some ways, I've found that there's actually a lot more work that goes into some of these techniques. For example, here are the steps involved in cooking a chicken fillet sous vide:
  1. find a seasoning blend I like
  2. unpack my vacuum sealer
  3. measure the amount of plastic sheeting I need, then seal the chicken inside
  4. set up the sous vide machine
  5. fill a pot of water with ping pong balls (for those who think I'm kidding, check out my ultimate lunacy with my Sous Vide Beef Brisket Bourguignon)
  6. operate the sous vide machine
  7. come back the next day and remove the chicken from the bag
  8. If I wanted to add a char to the chicken, I would then heat up a pan and cook it
Alternately, I could do steps 1 & 8.

But, I did start this thread about cooking gadgets. I have gotten a sous vide machine and a mortar and pestle since I posted that. And, J. Kenji Lopez Alt is probably my favorite chef (and his Serious Eats site is probably my favorite cooking site).

I'm very interested in what you have to share!

Yes, though I've given myself a bit of a break from such things lately. Even though what you say is correct about such cooking tools making things easier in some ways, I've found that there's actually a lot more work that goes into some of these techniques. For example, here are the steps involved in cooking a chicken fillet sous vide:
  1. find a seasoning blend I like
  2. unpack my vacuum sealer
  3. measure the amount of plastic sheeting I need, then seal the chicken inside
  4. set up the sous vide machine
  5. fill a pot of water with ping pong balls (for those who think I'm kidding, check out my ultimate lunacy with my Sous Vide Beef Brisket Bourguignon)
  6. operate the sous vide machine
  7. come back the next day and remove the chicken from the bag
  8. If I wanted to add a char to the chicken, I would then heat up a pan and cook it
Alternately, I could do steps 1 & 8.

But, I did start this thread about cooking gadgets. I have gotten a sous vide machine and a mortar and pestle since I posted that. And, J. Kenji Lopez Alt is probably my favorite chef (and his Serious Eats site is probably my favorite cooking site).

I'm very interested in what you have to share!

@paulbutten hasn't been back here since March 19th (3 months) and only posted this one introduction post. I'm going to copy your post over to start a new thread as it will get lost here.

Back
Top Bottom