I'm giving cooking lessons

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:25 AM
To my granddaughter as per her requests. She wants to bake/ cook for her family and well. Shes 12 but very mature. She has requested
Shortbread
Choc chip cookies
Butter chicken.
Our son is away with the kids for a week in queenstown. School hols here. (2 weeks)
So when they get back shes organised a sleep over to learn.
I'm looking forward to it.
Do you hand down your recipes.?
Btw my mum never left me any recipes.

Russ

Good on you, and good on her for wanting to learn.

I’ve tried a couple of times to show different people how to make something, but, to make a long story short, people are stupid and should just stay the 🤬 away from me if they can’t shut up and follow simple directions. :laugh:

Good on you, and good on her for wanting to learn.

I’ve tried a couple of times to show different people how to make something, but, to make a long story short, people are stupid and should just stay the 🤬 away from me if they can’t shut up and follow simple directions. :laugh:

She loves food almost like I did as a youngster. She really wants to learn and I'm really happy for her. I may talk to her about her options in the food game. I always wanted to be a chef but my choice of friends never opened that door.
She has good friends so we shall see???
She loves sleep overs.

Russ

To my granddaughter as per her requests. She wants to bake/ cook for her family and well. Shes 12 but very mature. She has requested
Shortbread
Choc chip cookies
Butter chicken.
Our son is away with the kids for a week in queenstown. School hols here. (2 weeks)
So when they get back shes organised a sleep over to learn.
I'm looking forward to it.
Do you hand down your recipes.?
Btw my mum never left me any recipes.

Russ
My Grannie is the one that taught me the basics of cooking. Strawberry jam, pancakes, lemon curd, scones, pikelets, vegetable lasagne... all if them she hand wrote the recipes for me which i still have and all but the strawberry jam bake frequently. Her version of strawberry jam is one that has a knob of butter in it which helps to prevent excessive foam collecting during the making of it. Plus it doors change the taste and make it pair with butter so much better on toast and scones. Sadly I can't have it with butter now but I still have the recipes.

In fact I have all if her recipes nowadays. My Grannie left my mum get recipe book, but granddad didn't want to part without until after he had died (and given how hard it was to find, we're not so certain he planned for anyone to find it). My mother doesn't cook, so it came my way.

It is great that she has requested certain things. Can I suggest that you write out the recipe (or type it up and print a copy) so you have something you follow on the day and something for her to take away. Expecting her to do it will mean it won't happen and she won't remember it all.

Plus, be ready to cover the very basics with her. The difference between a teaspoon and a dessertspoon and a tablespoon as a metric weight measurement. And the fact that if she is looking at Aussie recipes at any point, a tablespoon is not 15ml but 20ml...

And start with the easiest or her favourite, so that she isn't trying to do too much in one go. 3 in one go will be too much, so only expect to complete 1 or 2 of them this time around.

My Grannie is the one that taught me the basics of cooking. Strawberry jam, pancakes, lemon curd, scones, pikelets, vegetable lasagne... all if them she hand wrote the recipes for me which i still have and all but the strawberry jam bake frequently. Her version of strawberry jam is one that has a knob of butter in it which helps to prevent excessive foam collecting during the making of it. Plus it doors change the taste and make it pair with butter so much better on toast and scones. Sadly I can't have it with butter now but I still have the recipes.

In fact I have all if her recipes nowadays. My Grannie left my mum get recipe book, but granddad didn't want to part without until after he had died (and given how hard it was to find, we're not so certain he planned for anyone to find it). My mother doesn't cook, so it came my way.

It is great that she has requested certain things. Can I suggest that you write out the recipe (or type it up and print a copy) so you have something you follow on the day and something for her to take away. Expecting her to do it will mean it won't happen and she won't remember it all.
My daughter had me make hard copies of all my recipes. Butter chicken is written down. I'll give it to her to take home along with others. My nana taught me basics ie. Pikelets etc.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom