I'm in a baked chicken rut. Any ideas?

Indigo02

Veteran
Local time
11:44 AM
So here is the situation. I have chicken breast/thighs waiting in my freezer to be cooked. Usually, I'd oven bake it and be done, but I'll be cooking for two, so I want to make a good impression. I've gotten so used to my baked chicken that my creativity is gone. If anyone has a tried and true recipe to share, I'd be so grateful! My only stipulation is nothing fried, as I don't eat fried foods.

You could do a baked chicken parmesan, or even a grilled chicken parmesan. If you go the baked route, just debone and remove the skin from the chicken, and pound it flat. Then toast some seasoned breadcrumbs in a hot pan until they brown a bit, then bread the chicken with them (flour, egg wash, seasoned breadcrumbs), and bake on a wire rack. The rest is self explanatory with the sauce and cheese. If I do a grilled chicken parmesan, I will also sautee some fresh mushrooms to go over it as well, just for fun and some extra flavor.

Chicken Riggies is another popular recipe, that can use up the chicken thighs:
http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/10/chicken-riggies-what-if-you-never-saw.html

A simple boneless, skin-on chicken breast is also really nice when prepared properly. I know you mentioned you don't do frying, but you don't really need to add any extra oil to the pan to sear the chicken skin side down, just cook it over a low enough heat to allow the fat to render out in the pan. If anything you will actually be cutting some of the fat out of the dish by doing this. Then you can finish roasting the chickens in the oven.

Oh, the grilled chicken parmesan with sauteed mushrooms sounds really good. And lucky me, I already have mushrooms in the kitchen. I tried to get an idea of what my friend might like and was only met with an "oh, I'm not picky." So that didn't narrow it down at all.

The chicken riggies recipe sounds delicious as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

My go-to for baked chicken is usually honey mustard. You can find tons of recipes online and tweak them to your liking if it's something you'd like to do.

My boyfriend loves honey mustard, and so do I, so it's always in the refrigerator. It's even better with some of the mustard seeds in it, or the grainy/course mustard. I think so anyway. Super easy, too.

An overnight marinade is great when ideas are few. Most teriyaki flavors are good but one I discovered last year that goes well with carbs is Bourbon Brown Sugar.

It comes in a pouch and sort of a dry rub. The flavors range from smoky, sweet, spicy, and a little sour. Cover your chicken in its entirety and bake as usual.

Why don't you try something different? You can still 'bake' the chicken, but go a different way with it completely. Chicken curry, chicken cacciatore, chicken casserole - all prepared in the oven so technically the chicken is baked.

What I do is I put my chicken in there. Put a dab of olive oil on them all, then put garlic, pepper, onion powder, salt, chili powder and oregano. Put tinfoil over them bake at 350 for an hour. You can also do some shake'n'bake or do some ranch chicken. Or do baked BBQ chicken, that is pretty yummy too.

Here are my ideas:
1) Stuff the chicken breast with soft cheese and mushrooms.
2) Make a pocket and add garlic butter (solid). Dip the breasts in flour and egg. Coat in breadcrumbs or crushed ready salted crisps. Perfect Kiev.
5) Marinade in a sweet chilli sauce before baking.
4) Make a casserole with chicken, celery, carrots. I could add dumplings too, but that is up to you.
5) Chicken and broccoli bake: Part boil broccoli. Dice cooked chicken breasts. Slice mushrooms and onions. Add all ingredients to a casserole dish. Mix milk with a tin of condensed mushroom soup. Pour over other ingredients. Season. Put on lid and bake in the oven for about half an hour. Grate cheese over the top of the bake. Return to oven until top is golden brown.

Back
Top Bottom