I'm in Istanbul and the range of Turkish desserts is driving me nuts

BWF

Veteran
Local time
10:42 PM
I'm feeling a bit depressed in Istanbul because of the sheer variety of it traditional cuisine. Knowing that I will be leaving in a couple of days, I am sad that I will not have enough time to try all the fantastic array of baklavas, lokums (Turkish delight) and even some of the fantastic Turkish cheeses!

Has anyone tried freshly-made fistik (pistacchio) baklava? It is to die for!

please enjoy some for me. :hungry:
I enjoyed my time in west/central Turkey back in 2011 (despite what happened there) and tried out many of the turkish desserts.
the turkish grape molasses in the UK is so much thinner than in turkey, and needless to say, nowhere near as nice.

Have you tried the spinach breakfast pancake things - can't for the life of me remember what they are called (Gözleme?)
Also Chai, it simply does not taste the same back in the UK and I miss it so very much...

The Gözleme is amazing! I don't know how they do it but pastirma is way superior to any breakfast bacon or ham that I have every tried in the United States. I love eating Turkish bread with grape molasses, honey and tahini.

Yes, the tea is amazing! I think it's really strong black tea that you have to brew for a relatively long time in a samovar and not make it by simply immersing teabags in hot water like they do in the UK and in America.

We were at a hotel for some time in Turkey (due to an accident which left me unable to continue cycling) and whilst we were there, we were shown how to make the Gözleme.

We are still considering getting a turkish tea pot to try to replicate it - we have been able to get hold of the same tea leaves, so it is just how it is made that we need to suss - very strong tea, add hot water to dilute (this part we know) and then the all important sugar cubes! but somehow it never works out the same! :(

I remember to have eaten baklava when I was child.

My greek father liked to cook from time to time, not just Greek cuisine dishes bur from Turkey and Hungary. Later he began to spend more time going to hunting on weekends and I never thought to ask him for those recipes that he took with him when he passed away a few years back.

Wish I could eat baklava again :D

Back
Top Bottom