I'm moving

The knives are permitted. They are single sided fixed blades and not daggers (which are double sided). I've travelled widely with these outdoor knives and there has never been an issue. Just put them in the hold luggage and don't do anything like try to take any knife into the cabin and you are fine. Plus I won't actually be taking them on board any airplane. These items are been shipped by sea in a sealed container. Port Authorities have no issue with that.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Ente...k-Weapons/Can-I-Bring-Fixed-Blade-Knives-Back
Medication wise try
http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/respiratory/6355.html
or
http://www.medicines.org.au/ for names

Knives and daggers (restricted import)
Description:

Daggers, automatic knives, single handed opening knives, butterfly knives, trench knives, ballistic knives, concealed knives/blades, throwing knives/blades/axes, star knives, push knives, sheath knives, non-metallic knives.

Permits issued by:

To import daggers and throwing knives/blades/axes you need written Police Certification (B709B Form) from the relevant Police Firearms Registry, prior to the arrival of the goods in Australia.

To import all other knives you need written permission from the Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, prior to the arrival of the goods in Australia.

Possible problems with the knives, but walk through carrying an axe you'll be fine.

Best o'luck though.

QF002, EK5102 or Aer Lingus?

I'm allowed 2 lots of cabin luggage plus a laptop as well... not to mention my wheelchair goes free....
the plan is that I'll only have a cabin bag. plus there is likely to be an oversized item because I need a back support wedge for when we get there (plus here in the UK until we leave) and there is no way I can wait until one arrives in the post (purchased in Aus) because I won't even have a reclining chair when we get there. so the back physio wedge will have to go with me, and if that is going I may as well take the pillows (vacuum packed) that I need to go with it. It is not easy travelling with a bad back unable to sit upright at all!

Worse still is the fact that I don't think I am going to be able to get a disabled parking badge in Aus, but I will have to look into that when we get there.
Your current one should be, if you have one, should be valid, whilst you get the Queensland one sorted. Form doesn't say where the doctor has to reside.
https://www.qld.gov.au/disability/out-and-about/parking-permits/

Thanks, bit were won't be living in Queensland. Canberra had its own state of ACT. I'll try when we get there, taking my UK one with me, otherwise I'll have to leave the UK one in a hire car...
Everything points to taking it with you, if only to back up what you're saying. Valid in most states.

On early!

Everything points to taking it with you, if only to back up what you're saying. Valid in most states.

On early!
Yeh, been waking up routinely around 2:30am. Either meds are wearing off at the same time each night or one of the other tenants is waking me up at the same time. One leaves at 5am, another needed to learn that it is antisocial to hoover his flat at 1 am in the night! He's the same one who cooks something at 11pm that stinks out bathroom out, shared roof space, ignored his smoke detector going off (we actually had put landlady go round and check on him at 11:30pm last Saturday it had been going off that long) and uses his liquidiser at 10pm every Saturday night without fail. I don't think we are going to miss either of them!

You may have got used to the meds, now the body is catching up.

Do we keep an eye on Border Security for your arrival?

Some of you may have noticed that I have been a touch quieter on here than normal recently :whistling: and could even be thinking yourselves lucky that I have been :laugh:.

Well the reason is that I am moving house very, very soon and whilst I am used to moving house - I won't say how many times I have moved but it is well over 20-30 times now and I should be used to it, it is the first time that I have moved house internationally and despite my bad back and me being in a wheelchair when out of the house nowadays (sadly the physio has said he recons that this is probably permanent but I intend to prove him wrong there; what my right leg has to say about this remains to be seen), I am the one who is having to organise everything and get everything ready for the movers.

It is also the first time I have movers pack for me which is a touch daunting because I don't work with a 'this box was in this room' approach but more a 'what is in that box' approach. Mind you that said, it is the first time I have used a removal company. To make life even more fun, not everything we own is going and obviously we have to keep some stuff behind for us to live with whilst all our stuff is on a ship somewhere for 3 months.

Combine all of that with the fact that we are moving to a country which I think has one of the strictest importation/quarantine laws in the world and well, I'm spending rather a lot of time cleaning things and almost as much time asking the removal company about the customs declaration form and exactly what little things like "Do your unaccompanied effects contain any of the following goods, subject to animal quarantine laws, or wildlife export and import laws? .... feathers...." :eek:

Errr... well in my sleepy haze of overdoing it, not enough sleep and too much morphine I was left wondering about the little things such as feather pillows, duck down sleeping bags (6 of), duck down quilts (more than I actually need I think at 5) and a down filled jacket... which then led me on to the wonderings of if feathers are included and I have to answer yes to this question, then list every item, what about anything woollen?

I'm so glad there is someone sensible at the end of the email address who is a) used to this and b) realises that I am too tired and not thinking correctly!

However.... and this is a big however, everything that has wood in it and I do mean everything, ornaments, picture frames, stools, the only bookcase we are taking, my coffee tables, my wooden spatulas, etc all need listing and keeping aside because they will need inspecting and then there is a section for stuff made from other natural products such as cane, bamboo, plant material. So whilst my seagrass and seagrass stools are allowed to be imported, they have to be listed and inspected. So that is another list to create, and even my cane banneton has to go on this list! Ahhhhhh

Time to fly,

well actually that date is set for less than 3 weeks time. Shipping of our stuff happens next week... and where, well we are officially moving to Canberra, Australia for 3-4 years. :woot:

Wow! that is a lot to think about. Hope everything goes smoother than you expect! Safe Flight and after adjusting I think you will really like being there. (New adventure and all) you talked about importing things? maybe try to check Amazon while you are there and see if they will ship to you what you are looking for. will cost more probably. some of the German and British stuff I can't find here in the states I can actually buy on Amazon.

Good Luck! You need to take care of you so that you can heal well! Can't wait to hear about how it goes and what it's like living there!!

I think you will enjoy Australia. I have not been but I have seen many pics, and know some people who live there and it seems like a beautiful and awesome place, if a bit hot. I wish you luck and God Speed. I hope that you will become enthralled with your new country, and start adding some Australian recipes to the mix. Fair Dinkum and smooth sailing!!:sun:

I think you will enjoy Australia. I have not been but I have seen many pics, and know some people who live there and it seems like a beautiful and awesome place, if a bit hot. I wish you luck and God Speed. I hope that you will become enthralled with your new country, and start adding some Australian recipes to the mix. Fair Dinkum and smooth sailing!!:sun:
She'll be flying there!!

And don't forget, there is some decent beer in Australia (they send all the horrible, fizzy stuff to the UK). This is a good one...

J00705-005-Bitmap-RGB(Small).jpg

HAHHA Duck. Yes, they send Fosters here, which I have had Australians tell me is their very worst beer. Of course we all drink it like it is fine gourmet brew. Actually, to be honest if that is the worst, I would like to try the best..because I have to admit I like Fosters. What does that say about me?:bravo::bravo::happy:

Do they even brew Foster's in Australia any more? I thought it was brewed under licence just about everywhere in the world.

Micro breweries are growing all around the world and I am reliably informed (by an Australian of my acquaintance) that Western Australia in particular is something of a hotbed for them at present.

Back
Top Bottom