Indian Food.....

Nihal

Guru
Local time
8:51 AM
......I know how it is here,tell me hows it is there:)
What do you get?your favourites?.........if you hate any?........

I like the milder, creamier types of sauce - korma, pasanda, that sort of thing, generally with almond, or coconut in. I've never really got into the hotter sauces - I'm sure it's a case of developing an 'immunity' to them, but an Indian meal out is a treat, and I'm not keen to risk ordering something hotter and then not enjoy it. I like to be able to appreciate the flavours, rather than only feel the heat.

Of course, I don't know how 'authentic' the Indian food I eat is, I suspect a lot of it is tailored to suit western palates. I'm sure 'proper' Indian food has a wealth of variety we don't know about.

I make a cracking jal frezi

I can't claim the credit for it's deliciousness, the recipe is out of The Balti Curry Cookbook and is full of complex spice flavours, but surprisingly little chilli heat.

I'll put it in the recipe section in a bit.

There's also a good recipe for naan bread in there too.

(Edited to correct spelling)

Of course, I don't know how 'authentic' the Indian food I eat is, I suspect a lot of it is tailored to suit western palates. I'm sure 'proper' Indian food has a wealth of variety we don't know about.
I'm led to believe that several of the popular dishes served in the UK were developed over here to suit British tastes. The Tikka Masala is supposed to have come from Birmingham originally.

I'd shall follow this thread with interest to see what Nihal makes of it.

I am another who likes the medium/mild sauces. I have had to stop eating cream based sauces as I can't handle the lactose in the cream. I do like thick sauces though, and ones with the sweetness of fruit in it. I generally go with prawn, lamb, chicken, in that order of preference.

My husband makes a mean beef curry - usually with a Rogan Josh spice mix. We have Indian friends who don't eat beef, and we've made a chicken version for them. They tell me it's as good as anything they cook for themselves. Maybe they're being polite, but they cleared their plates and asked for more, so we must be doing something right!

We live in Leicester and have a large Indian community, so we are used to eating indian food. I prefer lamb curry, such as a bhuna as lamb can be cooked for a long time and still taste good whereas chicken can be tough after a while. You do have to careful with bought sauces & ready meals as they can be heavy in fat and salt so we limit ourselves. I would like to try authentic Indian food as I am sure it is different to what we get over here, yes I should imagine recipes are tweaked for the British palate. I like lip tingling warm as opposed to eye watering heat.

Can anybody here help me make biryani rice? I have been trying to follow recipes online but unfortunately I have been unsuccessful. I cannot get the taste I want. I want to imitate the biryani rice in a nearby Indian restaurant that is now closed. Is that even the spelling of biryani? I'm not sure but it was the spelling they used in the restaurant.

We live in Leicester and have a large Indian community, so we are used to eating indian food. I prefer lamb curry, such as a bhuna as lamb can be cooked for a long time and still taste good whereas chicken can be tough after a while. You do have to careful with bought sauces & ready meals as they can be heavy in fat and salt so we limit ourselves. I would like to try authentic Indian food as I am sure it is different to what we get over here, yes I should imagine recipes are tweaked for the British palate. I like lip tingling warm as opposed to eye watering heat.

I'm visiting Leicester! Any restaurant recommendations?

As a vegetarian who loves spicy food, I've always loved Indian cuisine. One of my favorite curries is Mattar Paneer, which is comprised of peas a spicy tomato based sauce and cheese. I also love vegetable samoas, onion bhaji, vegetable pakoras, pompadoms, garclic naan and potato parantha.

Indian food is one of my favorites! There is a great place out here in Los Angeles called Clay Oven. My favorite indian restaurant ever. My favorite dishes are vast and varied! I like the Tandoori Chicken, their pakoras are awesome, great tasting garlic Naan that's more soft than other types of Naan I've tried, and their rice is really great too. Probably my favorite Indian dish ever has to be Saag Paneer. A hot spinach dish with melted cheese inside. Amazing!:hungry:

I have enjoyed eating Indian food since I was a child. I grew up in an area with a big immigrant population. Later I learned how to make curries from a boyfriend of mine who came from Mauritius and was of Indian descent. I still enjoy making my own curries, usually just with vegetables although I sometimes I use fish and I also like chicken curries.

I have also made bhajis and lentil dhal.

Indian food also has some of the best desserts in my opinion. Anyone on here ever try Gulab Jaamun? They are like these small sugary balls of dried milk, with syrup on it. Very sticky and sweet, and a lot of fun to eat!:)

Oh my god, those things are soooooo good. They must have a million calories each, though? I always try to resists them at my local Indian buffet, but end up eating three or four 0_0

I haven't tried a lot of Indian food, so I really couldn't give out my favorites. But I've been meaning to try them because I've always had the impression that I'm going to like them - especially when my relatives always tell me that I should try new food every once in a while, haha.

Back
Top Bottom