Induction countertop with invisible burners

From what I've read, induction outperforms even gas.

CD

Bugger, now I have to do research!! Lol.
The only minus with gas is an 18 kg bottle sitting on my deck by the French doors. My brothers previous house had gas with the bottle outside, he had the bottle stolen twice. Who steals gas bottles??

Russ

Bugger, now I have to do research!! Lol.
The only minus with gas is an 18 kg bottle sitting on my deck by the French doors. My brothers previous house had gas with the bottle outside, he had the bottle stolen twice. Who steals gas bottles??

Russ

Oh, that's propane. You don't have natural gas service to your house? Changing bottles all the time is a PITA, and they always run out when you are in the middle of cooking.

CD

Oh, that's propane. You don't have natural gas service to your house? Changing bottles all the time is a PITA, and they always run out when you are in the middle of cooking.

CD

Yip I don't have gas at my front gate, parts of Chch however do, just not me. The bottle thing I could buy a valve type system and an extra bottle but as you say a pita. I'm 50/50 on the idea. Induction sounds good, I need to research it.

Russ

I have natural gas and I wouldn't change my stovetop for anything in this world. The only issue is the oven that takes forever and a day to brown anything. But I've had two electrical ovens, one was very cheap, the other a bit more fancy, both were very slow.

Edit to add: Gas takes a bit to cool off which helps save money, I turn off the burners and let the pans sit a bit longer there to finish cooking, as long as you keep an eye on the food you're fine.

Edit to add: Gas takes a bit to cool off which helps save money, I turn off the burners and let the pans sit a bit longer there to finish cooking, as long as you keep an eye on the food you're fine.

I do this as well. I had a thermometer setup to do some fried chicken at 160c and turning it off 2 mins early still had the oil at 160c until it was time to pull them out.

I thought to myself 'yep - I just saved about 0.02 cents!' :)

I have natural gas and I wouldn't change my stovetop for anything in this world. The only issue is the oven that takes forever and a day to brown anything. But I've had two electrical ovens, one was very cheap, the other a bit more fancy, both were very slow.

My last house had a gas cooktop, and an electric oven -- both good quality. That was an ideal combination. At that time, induction cooktops were only in professional kitchens, there were no consumer versions.

My next cooktop will be induction. 90-percent of my cookware is induction compatible, so that won't be an issue.

CD

induction heat the ferric stuff.
so for an 'invisible counter/cook top' for me the real question would be heat immunity of the 'top'

it may not 'heat' by induction, but having a seriously hot ferric pot sitting on the 'plastic/whatever' could be just one superhot pot bottom away from disaster.

From what I've read, induction outperforms even gas.

CD
Maybe on paper but most chefs prefer gas. I know a few that use it here in the county but it's because no serious venting system is required which if your just starting a restaurant can save you 10's of thousands of dollars. Which kinda dictates your menu simply because when you have a full menu putting out food frantically induction will not keep up.

Maybe on paper but most chefs prefer gas. I know a few that use it here in the county but it's because no serious venting system is required which if your just starting a restaurant can save you 10's of thousands of dollars. Which kinda dictates your menu simply because when you have a full menu putting out food frantically induction will not keep up.

I can't speak for chefs, since I'm not one. At the most, I'm putting out a meal for four people. Most days, it's just me.

Home kitchen induction cooktops are somewhat expensive to buy up front, but they are extremely efficient. The smooth top is easy to clean. Not to mention that the gas ranges in professional kitchens can cost as much as a small car. To me, induction is a nearly perfect home kitchen cooktop.

CD

Back
Top Bottom