Infused water

What's the bicarb of soda do? Hubby bought a sodastream this summer because I was totally feed up with the number of bottles of fizzy water he was being through .we actually couldn't store all the recycling in 2 x 60l black bins for 2 of us for 2 weeks even with the bottles compressed.

Before the Sodastream, we were going through 4 cases of 1.75 ml bottles of San Pel every 2 weeks.:eek:

Screenshot_20190323-160409_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edit to add: this is like one I have.

I drink a lot of the diet fizzy lemon lime soda. I should cut down.

I want to find some finger limes ("lime caviar"), if they are in season here, and try them in water or in ice cubes, etc. (They have been stuck in my head again recently when I saw them paired with Halibut at a Japanese restaurant.)
I had never heard of finger limes before. Just looked them up and apparently they originate in Australia. Do they grow over there too? I will keep an eye open for these at the market, they sound lovely.

I had never heard of finger limes before. Just looked them up and apparently they originate in Australia. Do they grow over there too? I will keep an eye open for these at the market, they sound lovely.

We can grow finger limes in south Florida and had a tree where we used to live.

I end up "infusing" things into water by taking (usually) a chunk of lemon or lime and squeezing it into the water tumbler, then filling with cold water or cold seltzer. When I was working, they had various passively-infused beverages in the cafeteria - I found their lemon to be too weak (being used to squeezing it...) but the cucumber or the orange or the strawberry ones could be good.

I do have the SodaStream, but I never used the packets that came with. Didn't want either the sugar or the fake sugar. By the time I got around to giving them to a friend who'd just purchased their own SodaStream, the things were well expired!

Does anyone make their own infused water? I know a couple of members make their own sparkling waters, but does anyone use flavoured infusions? Flavoured water seems quite popular, but last week I spotted a bottle of rosemary infused water in a supermarket - for £2.50! A couple of weeks earlier I had bought, at a reduced price, a pack of cold water infusion bags (watermelon, strawberry and mint flavoured) made by Twinings, the tea company. I have used them in my own home-made sparkling water, and whilst they are pleasant enough I wouldn't pay the full price of £3.50 for 12 bags. By way of experiment this morning, I grabbed a sprig of rosemary from the garden, stuffed it into a bottle of just-made fizzy water, then popped it into the fridge. Will see what happens later!

I shall have to try the rosemary! I have yet to use herbs in my infused waters. My rosemary is dried from my herb garden, but I'd suspect the fresh herb will work best.

I ordered one to grow here. The first summer I got two finger limes, last year it gave me nothing. I must be doing something wrong. (Yes, I bring my citrus plants in for the New England winter.)

At any rate, I loved the tantalizing taste I had of them...

I would love to add them to seltzer water!

You cut them open and you see all these little but potent lime beads!

finger-lime4.jpg

I ordered one to grow here. The first summer I got two finger limes, last year it gave me nothing. I must be doing something wrong. (Yes, I bring my citrus plants in for the New England winter.)

At any rate, I loved the tantalizing taste I had of them...

I would love to add them to seltzer water!

You cut them open and you see all these little but potent lime beads!

finger-lime4.jpg

Looks like caviar or molecular caviar. How lovely.

I just made up another bottle of infused water - 3 lemons, sliced. The limes still don't make a dent in the water - it's so faint, not even the world's biggest supply of them could make a difference. Having said that, I'm probably exaggerating just a tad.

I just made up another bottle of infused water - 3 lemons, sliced. The limes still don't make a dent in the water - it's so faint, not even the world's biggest supply of them could make a difference. Having said that, I'm probably exaggerating just a tad.

Maybe squish and sqash them a bit?

I used to buy garlic infused cooking oil from a French chef I knew briefly. It was like $100 for 4 litres 20 years ago. It was very good.i only used it a couple of times, came home one night and my sons girlfriend at the time, used the rest to cook something she wanted. It made the oil stink. I had to throw it out.

Russ

Three is a brand of fruit 'squash' called PLJ I've had that contains no sugar. It comes in lemon and lime. I have it with supermarket basic sparkling water (approx. 17 pence).

Maybe squish and sqash them a bit?
Squeeze the juice out instead?

Back
Top Bottom