Intermittent Fasting

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
6:51 PM
Anyone else doing it?

I'm on Day 8. I love it. I have family and friends that have been doing it for years. I always said that it was something that wouldn't be possible for me. I believed that I would literally die if I skipped a meal lol.

The transition to this eating life style has been really easy. I spoke with two different people that IF over the course of a few weeks. I did my research. Then I decided to give it a try. I'm 5'10". I was pushing 206 pounds. A few years back I was 215. I felt like I was back on that path. I also have been drinking way more than what I should be (over the last year).

I made the decision last SUN to give it a try. Worse case scenario I hate it and figure out something else. Turns out, it took me about two days to adjust. I'm eating less, I'm drinking WAY less, and my diverticulitis is feeling a lot better.

I use the "Fastic" app to assist me. Really, its just a glorified timer :)

I started the IF fasting for 16 hours, with an eating window of 8. In reality it is closer to a 17/7. I also noticed that I'm eating less in that 8 hour window than what I was a few weeks ago.

I love breakfast foods. I have simply started eating breakfast for lunch a few days a week. Easy peasy!

One of the things that my BIL pointed out. If you cheat one evening, forget, ect....just fix it the next day. None of it is world ending.

When were done with dinner, normally around 6 pm. I hit the fasting button on the app. My average fasting time is probably in the 17 hour time frame. Because of my schedule today I actually hit 18 hours of fasting. I could have gone longer. I wasn't famished by any means (well, until I took the first bite of my sammy, boy did it taste good lol).

I'll use this thread to document my progress.

After the first week I lost 2.5 pounds. I'm not going to worry about the weight loss. I prefer to lose a pound a week anyways. Its not like I need to shed pounds for bikini season.

Thanks for following along.

Bill

Never done that, because I´ve got this wierd metabolism that doesn´t allow to to put on weight.
However - If I miss breakfast, I don´t eat anything until it´s lunchtime. If I miss lunch, then nothing until dinner time. No snacks - don´t believe in snacks.

I don't do fasting on any formal schedule, but I do know that the more I eat, the hungrier I seem to get, so I have to force myself to dial back on food intake for a period of time, to get my body back to a normal level of hunger. It usually doesn't take more than a few days.

CD

I would like to start doing this - there have been days where my schedule has put me on a intermittant fasting like you mentioned, and I do fine. Except when I'm eating out with others, I think I can do a 9:30 -10:00 start time and quit eating around 4 - 4:30 on a regular basis. And I have one friend that when we go out we tend to eat at 2 pm and I'm not at all hungry for dinner, after.

I very seldom snack, and I don't need anything after my final meal of the day - a good glass of water to take to bed with me does me fine.

But I'd like to get more regular about trying this.

I wasn't too familiar with IF, so I "giggled it" ... nope, not for us.
We don't drink black coffee and there is no way in hell that I could function without my cup of coffee when I get up in the morning (about 8-830am)! If I had to wait 2 hours, you wouldn't want to be around me 👹

After a 17-hour fast. This may have been the best breakfast sandwich ever. Eggs, Gouda cheese, bacon, and hot sauce.

I suppose I've been intermittent fasting due to necessity for quite some time, because if I eat after 16.00 in the afternoon with my ileostomy I'm guaranteed a night where I have to get out every 2 to 4 hrs which is very exhausting to deal with every day. So I rarely, or almost never have eaten from 16.00 to 07.00 each day for the past 5 years. I'm not sure if it added to my weight loss, but I've lost 25 kg / 55 lbs this year through calorie counting.
If it has benefits for health, then I'm profiting of them anyway because I have to fast each day anyway.

To be fair, I can't say how much is lost through calorie counting and how much through the extra energy I burn due to being ill, but I did lose the weight regardless.

After a 17-hour fast. This may have been the best breakfast sandwich ever. Eggs, Gouda cheese, bacon, and hot sauce.

View attachment 93414

View attachment 93415
For me, if I do this - and when it has happened inadvertently - there' been a late lunch that ends about 3:30, and I really have no desire to eat again until about 8 or 8:30 in the morning.

Breakfast to me is all-important.

Retired now, so I don't have to juggle this sort of thing around working hours.

I'm still doing the IF. I've only had two break days. Those were minor, scheduled break days. This eating style works for me. It truly feels like a life style change. It doesn't feel like work at all. I'm averaging 17.5 to 18 hours fasting a day.

I weighed in yesterday at my lowest weight since 1989. I weighed in at 195.4. I went to the doctors a couple of weeks ago. He said last year I weighed in at 215.

My 36 size pants were getting pretty tight. Now my 34's need a belt!

I'm feeling pretty damn good

Back
Top Bottom