Recipe Irish Buttermilk Scones

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:41 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I was looking through various links and blogs and came across a recipe for something an American had called buttermilk biscuits. this had me intrigued because I was trying to work it out right up until I looked at the pictures and instantly saw they were scones. Scones are soft, rise to about 1.5-2 inches and get cut in half and served with butter (or marg for those of us allergic to dairy) and are best served the same day they are made.

Anyhow - enough of that... here is the recipe

Buttermilk Scones

Ingredients
2 1/4 cups (280 grams or 9oz) all-purpose/self raising flour
2 tsp caster or granulated sugar
1 tbsp. (15 grams) baking powder
3/4 tsp (5 grams) table salt (or less!)
3/4 tsp baking soda
125 grams unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
175 ml buttermilk

Method
Heat the oven to 200C (400F)
Sieve all the dry ingredients in to a bowl (or mixing bowl)
Add the chopped butter (or marg if using) and rub into the flour until you have breadcrumbs
Now slowly add the buttermilk until you have a medium to soft dough that is smooth but only just holding together.
Roll out into an oblong roughly 3/4 inch thick certainly no less.
Cut into 8 square scones, or use a dough cutter to make 8 - 9 round scones. If you make more the dough is too thin and your scones will not rise. You are looking at roughly 1 oz of flour per scone nothing less!
Cook on a baking sheet for 12-15 minutes.

The liquid used in scones seems to be a individual choice my recipe uses milk with a squeeze of lemon in it
Butter milk seems to be having a revival at present we are using it in pannacottas

I must have been making this recipe for over 2 decades now! Buttermilk as always been really easy to get hold of in Ireland in large quantities and really cheap. Sold in the same containers as milk!
In the UK I have never had a problem getting buttermilk from a supermarket. It doesn't seem to have changed in packaging in the entire time I have been getting it and that is St Ivel Cultured Buttermilk.

LN_053425_BP_10.jpg

Back
Top Bottom