Is a Pressure Cooker Safe?

tribie

Veteran
Local time
11:40 AM
Website
tribiewriting.wix.com
I have always been advised to use a pressure cooker so meats will become tender faster but I honestly have a trauma because when I was little that thing that small thing that pops shot up to our kitchen ceiling like a giant bullet. Since then, my mother never used her pressure cooker again and as an adult I never bothered to even buy one. I'm a very busy person so it will mean a lot if I am able to cook faster. Please help me feel better about using a pressure cooker :)

Pressure cookers these days are very safe. They have multiple safe guards to prevent any accidents. You literally cannot open them unless the pressure has been lowered beyond a certain safe point. The electric ones are even safer because they are more consistent with the heating, and they will automatically shut off if you get distracted and forget that you have it cooking.

Funny you should say that, tribie... because that's precisely the reason I won't touch one either. Not because I experienced it happening like you said happened for your mother, but because I heard the same kinds of stories.

The one that finally convinced me was when I heard that a lady who was pressure canning had the canner explode with all that glass shattering all over the kitchen. Scared me for sure! Even if no one would have been in that kitchen, who wants to clean up glass shards for a week?! Shivers! :eek:

Pressure cooker is supposed to be safe, fastest and even preserve the nutriments of our meals, but if I have to be honest with you, I have always feel scared to use it since I was a teen and one fine day my mother said "watch over it while I come back" and when I recalled about the famous cooker when it exploded an all the beans were falling off the roof.

I remember my grandmother firing the content over the ceiling a couple of times.

I've occasionally used one for sterilizing. Forgot about it once, wondered what the horrible smell and came back to find the thing had run out of water and the lid of the container I was trying to sterilize had melted.

I use pressure cooker rarely because of safety purpose. It was blasted when my sister cooked food inside so I feel scare to use it.

Well I am glad this was brought up. I said elsewhere that mine was being used by my husband to catch leaking water and I also commented I didn't know where the the little screw like thing from the top was.
I've never been that comfortable using it because of all the dangers surrounding them.Until now I thought I was alone.

Well I am glad this was brought up. I said elsewhere that mine was being used by my husband to catch leaking water and I also commented I didn't know where the the little screw like thing from the top was.
I've never been that comfortable using it because of all the dangers surrounding them.Until now I thought I was alone.
I found you the part number as well.

Elderly neighbour put one on the gas cooker with meat for her dog in it, then went shopping.
Whilst out something went wrong, thick black smoke started coming out of any opening.
Fire Service called, when they found the pressure cooker on the cooker it was a case of clear the area.
Pressure cooker never exploded though.

When I had no family yet, a cousin said that pressure cooker is dangerous because it has a tendency to explode. I didn't quite understand that because at the time, pressure cooker was relatively new. Later on in life, we acquired our own pressure cooker and has been using it to tenderize beef in particular which takes 3 hours in ordinary pot while in pressure cooker it takes only 10 minutes. In our experience of using pressure cooker since 1996, I'd say it is safe.

I bought a pressure cooker for the same purpose I believe it will save me time and money trying to make a meat tender. I am also afraid I might encounter the same situation but later I learned that you just have to wait for the cooker to release off the steam before you do anything to it.

we acquired our own pressure cooker and has been using it to tenderize beef in particular which takes 3 hours in ordinary pot while in pressure cooker it takes only 10 minutes. In our experience of using pressure cooker since 1996, I'd say it is safe.

I once opened a small fast food restaurant and buffalo wings is the main offer on our menu. As a new entrepreneur back then I had to make ends meet cut cost if I can. It takes time and it cost much to fry the wings using the old method I know and the result is nothing satisfactory. Someone told me to use a pressure cooker. I guess that was the best advice. It made the wings more tender and moist with less oil because we only fry them towards the end for less than two minutes

I once opened a small fast food restaurant and buffalo wings is the main offer on our menu. As a new entrepreneur back then I had to make ends meet cut cost if I can. It takes time and it cost much to fry the wings using the old method I know and the result is nothing satisfactory. Someone told me to use a pressure cooker. I guess that was the best advice. It made the wings more tender and moist with less oil because we only fry them towards the end for less than two minutes
What sort of Buffalo were you buying?

What sort of Buffalo were you buying?
I was referring to chicken wings actually. I wanted to achieve that crunchy crispy outer but moist and juicy inside. I think the pressure cooker did the trick and helped me achieve whatever it is that I wanted to. It is as simple as cooking them with water then deep fry a bit and pour the sauce in.

We have been using pressure cooker in our home since I was a kid. Thankfully we never encountered any untoward incident. In my opinion, pressure cookers are safe. Buy a pressure cooker of a good brand.

Back
Top Bottom