Is banana a good fruit for losing weight?

oivas

Veteran
Local time
10:13 AM
People have recommended that instead of being on diet it is better to have fruits and salads with Banana being the best fruit to have to lose weight. Is that true?

Cutting down carbs drastically is a very good way to loose weight. Replacing those with fresh fruit and salads is almost a sure way to loose weight, so I have to agree. Besides, Banana`s are also a great source of protein and minerals.

Bananas are a great source of various nutrients. They're one of the more starchier fruits, though so I wouldn't recommend eating more than one in a day if you're trying to lose weight.

I have heard before of some sort of banana diet... I don't remember how it worked, but it consisted on eating only a banana right when you get up along with a glass of water. This seems weird to me, but the fact is bananas are great source of vitamins and they fill you up good, so after you eat a banana you are hardly hungry for a few hours!

I wouldn't say that they are the healthiest for dieting. You need one every now and then for potassium, but they are pretty high in fat and sugar. I would eat them in moderation. Just don't eat one every day if you're looking to slim down.

Banana is a good fruit if for helping you to cut down in weight because it is full of nutrition. As much as possible, try to replace your usual meals for mixed fruits and vegetables so you don't get bored with what you eat. It's also good for a pre-work out meal because it fills you up quickly and gives you a lot of energy.

There is no magical "eat this and you will stop getting fat" food. Banana, just like most other fruits and vegetables, is a good snack or an ingredient since it provides a lot of nutrients for a low amount of calories. So yes, banana is definitely beneficial but it's only a part of a healthy diet.

Don't do the Banana diet. I am reporting this second hand as a vegan friend of mine thought it would be a good idea. The diet (at least the one he was on) required he eat 30 bananas a day and water. That was it. He never got beyond 20 in a day and after a few days he got quite ill. It took him more than a week to recover. Bananas are good and healthy, but they do not contain all of the nutrients we need to sustain ourselves. Feel free to eat a banana or two, as they are more filling than other fruits, but like everything else - use them in moderation.

Bananas are actually quite high in starch and (I think) carbs, so no, they aren't the best fruit for losing weight. However, if you're substituting a banana for a chocolate bar, obviously that's a better choice. I would definitely not recommend any diet that has you eating only one thing, or mostly one thing like the "Banana Diet." That was all the rage a few years ago in Japan when I was studying abroad there.

Funny story: My Japanese friend went on an extremely similar "apple diet" and lost a lot of weight while doing it. One day, though, she started getting mysterious and severe stomach pains that were apparently related to her only eating apples for months. After she went off the diet the pains went away, but to this day the sight of apples gives her physical pain in her stomach. Long story short: Don't do fad diets.

I would say as long as you are eating your daily calorie limit and mixing up your foods so you get the right about of proteins/vitamins/necessary good stuff - any fruit is a good dieting fruit. Don't only eat that fruit or you'll severely be lacking in certain nutritional needs.

Back
Top Bottom