Is fish really good for you?

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
12:45 AM
[ Mod.Edit: this post has been moved from another thread to form a new topic (MG) ]
Fish is good for you...
That’s a loaded statement 😂
It’s not considered good for you full stop. (edit: this line does not read as intended, it is meant to read as ‘fish being good for you is not the end of the story’).
In fact most governments recommend limiting intake due to the toxin levels found in fish.
This has softened recently as apparently the toxin levels have lowered but tbh I’m dubious.
There used to be a blanket health message of “Fish is good for you, eat more” which in Europe and the UK they quietly dropped some time ago as the monitored mercury levels increased.

Even the extremely conservative (small c conservative) uk gov website who are frightened of damaging the fishing industry recommends limiting intake.
Especially if you are a girl or woman of child bearing age as it can damage a developing foetus and these are ‘forever chemicals’ that accumulate over time never to be expelled by the body.

I think 🤔 it was Finland that introduced a health warning when you bought fish to explain it’s status had changed from being healthy to not.

If you eat fish regularly it’s recommended to stick to smaller fish or fish with a shorter lifespan, the longer it’s out there floating around in a bath of dioxins, pcb’s and heavy metals like mercury the more toxins you imbibe.

It’s easy to find a toxin table of the safer fish to eat using any search engine. There’s a surprising disparity.

A professor of toxicology was on radio four being interviewed, they asked him how often he thought it was safe to eat fish? He said once or twice a year. They asked how often do you eat fish? He laughed and said never!

It’s a far cry from the “EAT MORE FISH” message I was hammered with when I was pregnant 20 years ago.
Now they say “NO OILY FISH”!

Last edited:
That’s a loaded statement 😂
It’s not considered good for you full stop.
In fact most governments recommend limiting intake due to the toxin levels found in fish.
This has softened recently as apparently the toxin levels have lowered but tbh I’m dubious.
There used to be a blanket health message of “Fish is good for you, eat more” which in Europe and the UK they quietly dropped some time ago as the monitored mercury levels increased.

Even the extremely conservative (small c conservative) uk gov website who are frightened of damaging the fishing industry recommends limiting intake.
Especially if you are a girl or woman of child bearing age as it can damage a developing foetus and these are ‘forever chemicals’ that accumulate over time never to be expelled by the body.

I think 🤔 it was Finland that introduced a health warning when you bought fish to explain it’s status had changed from being healthy to not.

If you eat fish regularly it’s recommended to stick to smaller fish or fish with a shorter lifespan, the longer it’s out there floating around in a bath of dioxins, pcb’s and heavy metals like mercury the more toxins you imbibe.

It’s easy to find a toxin table of the safer fish to eat using any search engine. There’s a surprising disparity.

A professor of toxicology was on radio four being interviewed, they asked him how often he thought it was safe to eat fish? He said once or twice a year. They asked how often do you eat fish? He laughed and said never!

It’s a far cry from the “EAT MORE FISH” message I was hammered with when I was pregnant 20 years ago.
Now they say “NO OILY FISH”!

Mercury levels are higher in some fish than others, which is due to where they are caught, and as you mentioned, how long they live. It's not hard to find out. People along the Mediterranean eat a lot of seafood, and live longer than most people, as a group. I'm not going to tell a 95 year old Sicilian they shouldn't be eating so much fish.

CD

See, that’s the frequency I’ve been following my whole adult life…go to the UK once a year, eat fish-and-chips twice while I’m there…done.

Who knew I was so forward thinking? :laugh:

Well, Long John Silvers is, after all, some of the healthiest fish in the world. :okay:

CD

Well, I made a comment in reply to the above, but it didn't make the move. I'm not writing it again.

CD

It’s not considered good for you full stop.
spoken like a true beef eater. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Strange that the Japanese, who eat loads of fish, also have the best longevity in the world. Odd that the Spanish and the Italians haven't all died off suddenly.
To be honest, I'm a bit tired of hearing what the UK Agriculture Dept, the NHS, the FDA and all those panicking government departments have to tell me about what I should and shouldn't eat. I'm not sure how much mercury, or cadmium, or carbon monoxide, or arsenic, or plutonium or whatever is in the Caribbean sea, but I don't care. I've been eating fish for the past 40 years and if I'm full of noxious chemicals, then fine. We've all got to go sometime :happy: I've sat down on the beach in Venezuela and consumed 4 dozen oysters, carried in a plastic bucket with a bag of ice on top. I wouldn't want to miss that experience ever. I eaten tuna, swordfish, Manta ray, Amberjack, barracuda, sea bream, John Dory - and never got sick or felt like I was being poisoned.
I get really p****d off every time the "governments" issue a warning about foodstuffs. I get people calling me and asking " hey, I left the rice out for an hour!!! Will I get salmonella????" or " I put some garlic cloves in olive oil last week. I'm sure there's botulism growing there; what should I do???"
Just carry on eating fish, guys, it's good for you. Far better than beef.
PS- nothing personal, SandwichShortOfAPicnic, nothing personal. :D:D I know what you're saying emanates from governmental sources.

Last edited:
Strange that the Japanese, who eat loads of fish, also have the best longevity in the world. Odd that the Spanish and the Italians haven't all died off suddenly.
To be honest, I'm a bit tired of hearing what the UK Agriculture Dept, the NHS, the FDA and all those panicking government departments have to tell me about what I should and shouldn't eat. I'm not sure how much mercury, or cadmium, or carbon monoxide, or arsenic, or plutonium or whatever is in the Caribbean sea, but I don't care. I've been eating fish for the past 40 years and if I'm full of noxious chemicals, then fine. We've all got to go sometime :happy: I've sat down on the beach in Venezuela and consumed 4 dozen oysters, carried in a plastic bucket with a bag of ice on top. I wouldn't want to miss that experience ever. I eaten tuna, swordfish, Manta ray, Amberjack, barracuda, sea bream, John Dory - and never got sick or felt like I was being poisoned.
I get really p****d off every time the "governments" issue a warning about foodstuffs. I get people calling me and asking " hey, I left the rice out for an hour!!! Will I get salmonella????" or " I put some garlic cloves in olive oil last week. I'm sure there's botulism growing there; what should I do???"
PS- nothing personal, SandwichShortOfAPicnic, nothing personal. :D:D I know what you're saying emanates from governmental sources.
Times change m’dear. You have to consider the possibility the fish we ate growing up that helps all the fish eating nations live a nice long life is perhaps not the same now.
We’ve certainly been dumping a lot of crap in the sea for a long time, to think that doesn’t affect the creatures that live in it is foolhardy.
I share your distain for the latest food zeitgeist but I’m also someone who enjoys cold boring science.
I don’t dismiss new information out of hand because it doesn’t fit with the way I like to think.
As we age we all become more prone to mumpsimus.

Last edited:
Mercury levels are higher in some fish than others, which is due to where they are caught, and as you mentioned, how long they live. It's not hard to find out. People along the Mediterranean eat a lot of seafood, and live longer than most people, as a group. I'm not going to tell a 95 year old Sicilian they shouldn't be eating so much fish.

CD

Yes as I stated in the first post-

I’m not suggesting you tell anyone to stop eating fish 🤷‍♀️

I appreciate people are passionate about food so comments are often responded to in an emotive way but if you re-read my post I don’t say anywhere people shouldn’t eat fish, I simply relay the changes in messaging (from other sources) that ‘fish is good for you’ has changed to ‘don’t eat too much of it’

I adore reading long boring research that has most people snoring after 30 seconds and am acutely aware of how extraneous variables effect research results. I tend to be a factual person who has no problem putting emotion aside to assess validity. The toxin levels in fish haven’t always been this high so it is not possible to see the long term effects at this moment in time.

But they do know for certain the substances being consumed are teratogens.
As women are born with every ovum they will ever produce and these chemicals stay in the body for life it is sensible not to feed girls and women of child bearing age a lot of fish.

I know most folk read these things and think well I’m alright it doesn’t apply to me but should they have a granddaughter I would hope they would pause for thought.

For the record I still eat fish.

Amen. One obvious factor in the health benefit of a fish and rice diet as found in Asia is that it isn't fattening. Maintaining a normal body weight is seriously important for overall health. We keep frozen cod and swordfish as pantry items. They represent a minimum of 1 dinner meal per week. The cod is often served here as fish and chips or cod cakes. Check out my blackened swordfish recipe. It is a serious treat.

Amen. One obvious factor in the health benefit of a fish and rice diet as found in Asia is that it isn't fattening. Maintaining a normal body weight is seriously important for overall health. We keep frozen cod and swordfish as pantry items. They represent a minimum of 1 dinner meal per week. The cod is often served here as fish and chips or cod cakes. Check out my blackened swordfish recipe. It is a serious treat.
Eating fish once a week isn’t exactly excessive, it is also unlikely to have much impact on your overall weekly calorie consumption.

Times change m’dear. You have to consider the possibility the fish we ate growing up that helps all the fish eating nations live a nice long life is perhaps not the same now.
We’ve certainly been dumping a lot of crap in the sea for a long time, to think that doesn’t affect the creatures that live in it is foolhardy.
I share your distain for the latest food zeitgeist but I’m also someone who enjoys cold boring science.
I don’t dismiss new information out of hand because it doesn’t fit with the way I like to think.
As we age we all become more prone to mumpsimus.

What took you so long. You got a broken leg or something?

Oh, wait... never mind. :D

CD
Truth be told I went off to research mercury in fish. One of my greatest loves is oysters and I wondered if I'd been poisoning myself!

Truth be told I went off to research mercury in fish. One of my greatest loves is oysters and I wondered if I'd been poisoning myself!
The real question is…would you stop eating them if you discovered you were?! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom