Is it okay to leave cooked veggies out at room temperature.

zandi

Veteran
Local time
6:41 AM
I know, it is not good to leave meat or dairy products out for long periods of time, but what about vegetables? Does the same rule of thumb apply? I think of this situation at picnics or potlucks. All that good food just sitting around looking so tempting, but it is really okay to eat it hours later? I mean sure, you can see the raw veggies in a salad start to wilt, but what about cooked veggies? Hmm, now I wonder, if it even safe to eat room temperature salad, after a few hours? It might not look the most appealing, but I will still nimble on it.

There have been many times that I have left cooked vegetables out at room temperature for a few hours. I have never had a problem with eating them afterwards. I don't know if there would be a problem with certain vegetables such as cabbage, for instance. Also, I guess it would depend on how long the vegetables are left out. If left out for a few hours, then it may not be a problem. Leaving them out for several hours could possibly pose a problem, but I have never left mine out for very long hours.

I guess it depends on where in the world you live, of you have converted them and how many little fingers pick at them during the course of the day.

Here in the UK it is not a huge issue because the weather is comet for the most part of the year so they won't spoil as quickly and there are fewer insects around. In summer though I wouldn't leave them out for long after cooking simply because of the number of flying insects and hygiene from that side. I wouldn't be necessarily reheating them other than jacket potatoes, so there would be no way of ensuring that they were still good unless you kept them converted, but even so they would go off much more quickly than in the fridge.

However, it is a moot point in this household, there is never cooked veg left over for another day.

I'm not to keen on leftover cooked vegetables to be honest. I prefer them to be a little crisp, or "al dente" and they just end up being floppy after a while. Whilst I'm sure they won't be riddled with bacteria after a couple of hours out on the side, they just don't seem very appealing at all.

It's fine for short periods of time... like the picnics that you mentioned. At home, when people stop eating I put them into the fridge but obviously that is not possible if you are outside. But yeah, just use common sense and don't leave them out in the sun for 10 hours etc.

Back
Top Bottom