Is it worth making it from scratch?

caseydog do or would you like to share with e your spice blend for chicken or beef tex mex.
I’ve tried my own but wife doesn’t think it’s close. I use coriander and coming seeds roasted and ground, along with other spices.
Yours may be an improvement.

Russ

I may need to make some, and write down what I did. :laugh: It's kinda' like the fact that I don't know my sister's address, but I can drive to her house without it.

I know I don't use coriander seeds or leaves, and I do use comino/cumin and cayenne pepper in mine. And salt, of course (but WAY less than what store bought spice mixes use). Those are ingredients I ALWAYS use. Depending on the dish I am making, there are other ingredients. The seasoning blend I use in a pot of chili con carne is different than what I use to season meat with for fajitas/tacos.

I'll see what I can come up with, and perhaps start a new thread on TexMex seasonings.

CD

I’ve told you before and you were shocked it also had sugar. It’s the=same I was bought up with, so I’m indoctrinated.
Con milk
Tablespoon sugar
white pepper
Mustard powder
Malt vinegar.

Everyone in my family fave sammichis
Cold lamb mayo and sliced onion sammich.

Russ

I remember it being mentioned before. I sometimes think I'm in deja vu land here! Anyway, technically this isn't really mayonnaise at all (mayonnaise is an emulsion of eggs and oil). What you describe is a sort of salad cream, I think?

Eggless mayo (vegan) was the subject of a huge controversy that led to lawsuits in the US.

Just Mayo - Wikipedia

CD

I know - I make vegan 'mayo' quite often from bean water (aquafaba). But aquafaba' faux mayo' is an emulsion and has a similar 'mouth feel' and texture to egg mayo. In fact, I don't think many people would realise that they were eating vegan mayo if they ate it 'blind'. rascal's condensed milk version isn't an emulsion. And I can't imagine it tastes or anything like 'traditional' mayonnaise - although, of course, it may be wonderful in its own right.

I recently made an aquafaba mayonnaise from processed tinned pea 'water'. Its really delicious and a pretty pale green... will post tomorrow.

I may need to make some, and write down what I did. :laugh: It's kinda' like the fact that I don't know my sister's address, but I can drive to her house without it.

I know I don't use coriander seeds or leaves, and I do use comino/cumin and cayenne pepper in mine. And salt, of course (but WAY less than what store bought spice mixes use). Those are ingredients I ALWAYS use. Depending on the dish I am making, there are other ingredients. The seasoning blend I use in a pot of chili con carne is different than what I use to season meat with for fajitas/tacos.

I'll see what I can come up with, and perhaps start a new thread on TexMex seasonings.

CD
The one I blended was from a taco packet mix but wife didn’t like it, the brands murican, but can’t remember atm.
Look forward to seeing it.

Russ

I remember it being mentioned before. I sometimes think I'm in deja vu land here! Anyway, technically this isn't really mayonnaise at all (mayonnaise is an emulsion of eggs and oil). What you describe is a sort of salad cream, I think?

Yeah we grew up and called it salad dressing. Still do. I also use the whizz to make evoo mayo.

Russ

Vegan mayonnaise made from tinned peas aquafaba:

Back
Top Bottom