Is usage of plastic good in cooking?

margarito

Veteran
Local time
11:34 PM
Few say plastic is not suggestible to be used while cooking and few say that its usage doesn't matter. I personally find plastic crockery more comfortable to use and the wide range of varieties in them makes me somehow manage to buy them and use regularly. Is it really advisable to use plastic while mixing curries, dough and any items which are a bit hotter?

Glass is always better, but I have a variety of plastic bowls and items that I use regularly.

I'm not sure about safety when it comes to the material itself, but I learned that main problem with plastic may retain odors and therefore alter the smell and taste of your food.

However there are many tricks to avoid plastics keep such odors or to remove them if they have caught some already.

Here some tips by the way, http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Smelly-Plastic-Containers

I think the big problem with plastics over the last few years has been the BPA contained within them. This isn't emitted if you aren't heating the food in the plastic (like a microwave), from my understanding, so plastic would merely be a preference as far as mixing things up. I tend to favor metal and glassware because it lasts longer. We have a small collection of plastics for leftovers and the such, but those were given to us and not purchased by us. I like to invest in items that will last a long time, so plastic has never been on my list of things to have.

Some of the main benefits of using plastic bowls and containers vs. glass is they don't get insanely hot when heating stuff up in the microwave. They don't shatter either, especially if the temperature shifts too fast, like when putting something on a cold counter. Also they are not as heavy to handle. Plus, unlike certain metal bowls, they won't react to acids and can be microwaved without causing sparks.

The downside in addition to the odors and BPA, is that they stain very easily. I have an entire cabinet of stained plastic containers that I use to reheat and store stuff, but I never bring out in public or in front of guests because they look awful.

Back
Top Bottom