Is your kitchen large enough?

Lostvalleyguy

Veteran
Local time
5:39 PM
I live in a small apartment and my kitchen is well enough designed, but could use about twice the counter space. Having a limited number of outlets also hinders my efficiency in the kitchen. The plus is that even if my kitchen is a mess, cleanup is a snap because it isn't all that big of an area to clean.

I need one more set of cupboards - top and bottom, two more outlets - on separate circuits, and a good six feet more of counter top. How does your kitchen hold up to your needs?

My kitchen is super tiny too! I never have any counter space! I have to improvise while making dinner and make sure my dishes are not over flowing all of the time because I do not have the space. I have enough outlets, but I need more cupboards too. One more set would be perfect!

My kitchen is also tiny. The cupboards have stuff stacked on top of them and I am just about to purchase some under shelf baskets to go into the cupboards so that some of the free space can be put to better use. I have very little work surface space - maybe 2m at the most and I can stand in the kitchen and touch both walls! It is one of those small tiny kitchens. Compared to my last kitchen it is about a quarter of the size! Definitely not large enough!

My kitchen size is good enough for me, but I also wish I had more counter space. I think even though the space is good, the way that it was set up wasted a bit of space, which could be used to put more counters if the set up was different. The sink also could be bigger. And whoever created that kitchen didn't think it through, because the sink is right beside the oven, so when you wash the dishes the oven always ends up wet.
But I'm ok with it, I'm able to do everything I need on it even with the minor issues.

I live in an apartment, so no, it's not nearly as spacious as I would like it to be. I've always wanted the type of kitchen that has an island in the middle to set groceries in and sort of serve as the central source for everything, but unfortunately, I am not rich enough for that yet. :D

We had a small kitchen that is why I had no space in as much as I want to put extra stuffs that I will be needing for my cooking. But even though it is not large enough It is well organized because I hate messy things and all my kitchen utensils and accessories are all in place and one thing I always love to clean and decorate even though we had a small space at home.

The thing that sold me on this house (and the next that I'm soon moving to) was the size and layout of the kitchen. In fact, I compromised on the neighborhood and a few other things so I could have this big open kitchen with a completely open floor plan in my main floor. Lots of counters and almost too many cabinets. (Now, they are cheap and I hate the color, but there's an abundance so I can't complain.)

The house isn't even that big, to be honest, but I figure, I have 3 (almost 4) kids, and my life pretty much revolves around my kitchen. When I'm at the kitchen sink, I can see out my back door, out my front door, into my living room, and I can see the TV (haha). My little kids won't play on another floor or in a room without me, so our "formal dining room" is actually a play room.

We've had to be really creative about how to turn the space back into an "adult space" when the kids go to bed, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

When house shopping, the first thing I want to see is the kitchen. A small or hidden kitchen is an immediate deal breaker for me.

My kitchen is very large, it has enough space for everything I need and a bit more. It's quite bad quality though, but not much I can do about that seeing as it's an apartment I'm renting fully furnished.

Mine definitely isn't at this point. This is the smallest kitchen I've ever used and it definitely hinders me....both in actual practicality and in my motivation to cook, too.

And even though it means it's quicker to clean, I also feel like it is constantly a mess, even if it's just a little bit of stuff. I hate that part.

My kitchen is large enough for the things I need to do... but it would be so much easier if it would be double the size. Storage space (I mean lack thereof!) is also an issue.

Someday I'd like to take the wall out and add onto the kitchen... there's space in the back, but I think I'd rather have office space if we're ever going to build an extra room onto the house.

Ha, my kitchen is not large enough for anything and the layout is horrible. We have a nice eat-in kitchen area but for some reason, the builders just didn't want to give us any counter space. Talk about irritating. I feel like we just never have any room to cook anything and I'm constantly moving things to get that room. Even the kitchen island is situated in a bad spot in our kitchen!

I've lived in apartments for years now, and although the kitchens are small, size has never really been an issue for me. The only thing that causes me problems are when I don't have a large double sink. I hate having to take all my dirty dishes out to use the sink to drain pasta or rinse things off. All my major appliances I just keep put away in the lower cupboards and take them out as I need them.

The last apartment I lived in also had a dinette area in addition to the dining room area, so I bought a standalone kitchen island on wheels, and used that for extra storage - which worked out great because it also had a stainless steel top so I could put hot pans on it when shuffling things off the stove.

Our kitchen is enough for the family, I guess, though we really can't exactly handle feeding more than 10 people at once. We have about eight counters - two for the sinks. We have a single fridge and a container for all the utensils, while we have cabinets along the ceiling for the extra plates and containers.

Though the only problem we have isn't exactly with the number of dishes we can prepare, it's where we store all the other stuff. We are only capable of preparing what is enough for the entire family - preparing for when the relatives arrive needs a lot of sessions and goings-back repetitively to the kitchen to set out dishes to fit everyone.

My kitchen could certainly use more square footage as well as more cabinets. I don't have nearly enough counter space for my liking. I was fortunate that hubby did build me a huge hutch for my extra dishes and pots as well as he is planning on building me a sideboard as well.

My dream kitchen is 20x30 with a huge fireplace, wood cook stove as well as all of the modern conveniences to go with it. Dutch oven, Jenn Aire range, plenty of cabinets, nice bar so that people can relax and hang out while I cook and lots of prep area. I would also have a nice garden room adjoining the kitchen that has a large sink and prep area to wash fresh veggies and fruit from the garden when they are first brought in. I would also have a huge pantry to store all of my food in.

We could definitely use some more space in our kitchen. It's actually quite spacious compared to other apartments I've lived in, but the space for food prep is basically non-existent. Cabinet space is okay for our two-person family, but my husband and I are both avid cookers, so we're constantly after more storage and cooking space. We're thinking of buying some kind of non-permanent countertops for the apartment, but we'll see how it goes..

Back
Top Bottom