It’s the Flies or Me This Summer.

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
3:34 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I’ve never thought I was the sort of person who would have an arch nemesis. I’m not a superhero, but now I have one. You see, we have dogs, so the back door opens a lot to let them out. And, when they come in, they have little friends with them. Kids: always ask permission before bringing friends home with you!

It has been quite the epic battle. They fly to the light, so that’s where they were hanging out. In situations like this, I like to use something safe, like disinfectant spray, to bring the flies down. But, none of the sprays I had would shoot far enough to hit them.

I survey the situation. They were over a kitchen sink full of dirty dishes, and I decided that getting poisonous spray all over them would be an acceptable casualty of war. Some of them landed casually, thinking that this was a free hostel were they could crash anytime they wanted.

**SPRAY**

I thought I aimed perfectly, but it seemed at first I was an instant too late. But, I was wrong. I did get them, and the spray took a while to start working.

As if this was not annoying enough, it actually got worse. One of them was obviously their leader. I’ve gotten divebombed three times already tonight, with the fly angrily buzzing in my hair. I swear it’s the same fly. He’s quite a worthy foe.

After a lot of spraying I think I have found peace. The mighty one has fallen. No more buzzing in my hair. Did I really get him? I think I did.

But, the night is not over yet. One thing that is for sure: I’m washing those dishes that were in the sink. And staying out of the light.

Since I live a few blocks from a cattle and horse ranch, flies have always been a problem for me.

I have gotten very good with a fly swatter. Flying insect spray works, too, but it smells terrible. The glue traps used for mice work, too, if you put a little honey or sugary syrup in the middle. Any kind of trap type thing needs to be on or near a window, because they buzz around windows trying to get out (they don't understand glass). Another good place is near the kitchen sink, a source of water and food smells.

CD

When I go out to fill the bird feeders, I'm in the habit of leaving the door cracked, because I'm in and out three times.

Flies sense that little opportunity and in they come.

When our dog was with us, she'd actually stand at the back door, intently watch the files bouncing against the door (mostly glass), trying to get out, and gently pick them off, one at a time...munch, munch, munch. Our own little Renfield! 🧛🏻‍♂️

Since I live a few blocks from a cattle and horse ranch, flies have always been a problem for me.

I have gotten very good with a fly swatter. Flying insect spray works, too, but it smells terrible. The glue traps used for mice work, too, if you put a little honey or sugary syrup in the middle. Any kind of trap type thing needs to be on or near a window, because they buzz around windows trying to get out (they don't understand glass). Another good place is near the kitchen sink, a source of water and food smells.

CD
They do still make those paper traps that you hang up and they fall into a spiral. They are cheap, fairly effective and don't have a smell. Downside is the spiral hanging down.

I have used different traps in the past, but I was unprepared this year. We've had a service treat our yard to kill a variety of pests, so we haven't seen wasps, ants, or spiders at all. But, some flies have gotten past the treatment. Jerks.

I feel sorely sorry for you.

First, I wouldn't leave the sink full of dirty dishes. Police that up as soon as possible. Second, I'd cut back on odors that would attract the flies. Clean up and if possible, bleach the floors and countertops. Bleach areas right near the door where the dogs have their exit and entry. Use an air freshener.

I am not willing to recommend sprays as the toxins are just as toxic for you as they are for the bugs and you chance breathing them in. The sticky strips don't often work with flies, but can help cut down a small fraction of their numbers. The same is true of zap lights.

One option, is to recognize that flies will go to the only available food source. Find a toxic food trap for flies and again, get rid of anything else that they can eat. I had a roach problem once after retrieving my stuff from a storage facility. It took a couple months, but I got rid of every roach by eliminating all food sources left out, keeping things absolutely clean and laying a certain kind of toxic trap that dehydrates them when they eat it. Toxic traps might be a problem for you, concerning the dogs.

A fly swatter is something that will give you a new sport for a while.

Again, your best option is to avoid attracting them. Get rid of the odors and present them instead with an odor that they don't like - bleach. Keep the lights off at night, near the door. The dogs won't mind this.

First, I wouldn't leave the sink full of dirty dishes. Police that up as soon as possible.

My son's job is to keep up with emptying the dishwasher. He just started college, and he's adjusting to how much more work he has to do than he did in high school. The dishwasher is low on his list of priorities, but you're right.

I'd find this situation unbearable. Luckily there are very few flies around here - but I don't tend to leave doors and windows open anyway. Maybe you need a dog flap in the door?
I have thought this same thing many times. But, we have French doors similar to these:

primed-white-masonite-patio-doors-97734-e4_400.jpg

There's no real place to put a door unless I cut through the wall (which has brick on the exterior) or get new doors.

Last edited:
We´ve had hordes of pesky flies this year. Don´t know why, but I´ll blame it on climate change, new governments, the extinction rebellion and far more rain than usual this year.
In May and June, there were flies in the kitchen, all the time. Really fearless ones, because I´d whack at them with a fly swatter and they´d land on my arm, as if to say " You´re a lousy shot and I´m the boss".
Then in July and August, we´ve had flying ants, or termites, which appeared in their thousands. Blast the damned things with fly spray, choke on the fumes for a while, go outside... when I come back in, there´s a carpet of dead insects on the floor and another batallion swarming around the lights.
And don´t even mention mosquitoes and gnats. Before I can even make the tea or clean my teeth, I have to bathe myself in "OFF!" or any other available insect repellent, otherwise I spend the rest of the day scratching.

I feel sorely sorry for you.

First, I wouldn't leave the sink full of dirty dishes. Police that up as soon as possible. Second, I'd cut back on odors that would attract the flies. Clean up and if possible, bleach the floors and countertops. Bleach areas right near the door where the dogs have their exit and entry. Use an air freshener.

I am not willing to recommend sprays as the toxins are just as toxic for you as they are for the bugs and you chance breathing them in. The sticky strips don't often work with flies, but can help cut down a small fraction of their numbers. The same is true of zap lights.

One option, is to recognize that flies will go to the only available food source. Find a toxic food trap for flies and again, get rid of anything else that they can eat. I had a roach problem once after retrieving my stuff from a storage facility. It took a couple months, but I got rid of every roach by eliminating all food sources left out, keeping things absolutely clean and laying a certain kind of toxic trap that dehydrates them when they eat it. Toxic traps might be a problem for you, concerning the dogs.

A fly swatter is something that will give you a new sport for a while.

Again, your best option is to avoid attracting them. Get rid of the odors and present them instead with an odor that they don't like - bleach. Keep the lights off at night, near the door. The dogs won't mind this.

I have found that flies are not particularly smart. They fly inside just because they can. I don't think they have any idea why. Just look at how many hours a fly will spend buzzing against a glass window thinking it is a way out.

Flies do apparently have a taste for BBQ. I have found that when I set up my Weber for a long, slow smoke cook, every fly for miles wants a piece of that. I always set my grill/smoker up far from my back door.

This year has not been that bad for flies at my house. It is the mosquitos that have been brutal. 🦟

CD

There's no real place to put a door unless I cut through the wall (which has brick on the exterior) or get new doors.
That is the solution I've seen employed here in Australia because all doors have flyscreens on them including patio or veranda doors, so pet doors for both cats and dogs go straight through bricks.

As for the fly issue, it's bad here in Australia as well. In summer, our vegetable waste bin had a lid on it that clips on tightly. Everything else is washed up as it is used. We don't use the dishwasher. All grey water is recycled onto the garden for flowers and some veg that it has no effect on. The dirtiest of waste water keeps the septic tank alive! Lol.

We also have some low level naturally based insecticide that is sprayed at 15min intervals at night only that takes out anything that has gained entry during the day. It's the only way we can keep the house insect free with my chooks feeling it necessary to congregate around our doors! Our chook coops also have something similar inside as well. It helps to keep the girls free of insects and keeps the mozzies away from them at night whilst they sleep. They can be badly affected by mozzies bites. I figure if it is human safe, it should be chook safe and the one I use is scent free so all you hear is it spray, and it doesn't set my asthma off which is a significant bonus.

And finally we have a tennis racket style fly swag that is USB chargeable and kills insects on touch, though fried insect wings stink to high heaven... not nice.

And finally we have a tennis racket style fly swag that is USB chargeable and kills insects on touch, though fried insect wings stink to high heaven... not nice.
I love this one, we use it back home in Jamaica for the mosquitos, its very satisfying to zap them and the ones that have already feasted on your blood often pop the loudest. I'm not a sadist, but I hate mosquitoes that much!

Back on the topic of flies, there is definitely a seasonal surge of them in summer here in Florida. Small fruit flies and large houseflies. Just be sure to keep the house doors closed as much as possible. I wanted to try the spiral flypaper suggested by medtran49 but with 3 cats, I think they would consider this a cat toy for them to play with LOL

Back
Top Bottom