It hasn't been a good week for Michel Roux Jr.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:33 AM
Michel Roux Jr’s fans share their heartbreak after chef admits he keeps the service charge at his restaurant. The Michelin-starred chef has admitted staff don't receive a share of the service charge. The revelation comes days after he admitted some staff are paid below minimum wage. Le Gavroche in central London charges customers £212-a-head. Former fans of Roux Jr have shared their 'disappointment' on social media.

The British Hospitality Association (BHA) makes clear on its website that there are differences between service charges and tips. It explains that a service charge 'is a payment suggested by the restaurant, which the customer is totally free to make or not. The payment is made to the restaurant... It is not a cash tip.'

What do you think? Do you pay a service charge when its added to your bill?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/f...rge-Le-Gavroche-restaurant.html#ixzz4U9kSOVzR

Last edited:
No. Here a service charge is something you have to pay but I don't think any restaurants have them here.
Now there are service charges added to some things and they are all mandatory to pay.

Some restaurants do add a 10% gratuity to large parties. It is usually clearly marked.
Had to giggle once in a restaurant when a woman said oh look we get a 10% discount because we have more than 10 people.

I resent service charges. You don't pay service charges on top of bills anywhere else as far as I know.

I prefer to tip if the waiter/waitress is good.
I tried to do that once in a restaurant in Rye in Sussex. The waitress refused to except it because it was against policy. We left the tip on the table anyway. I just hope she got it. In London it seems that most places we go to let you leave a tip on the table. We mainly go to places local to where we are so I'm not sure if the central London places are the same.

One problem we have in the UK is that the rules surrounding tronc schemes are somewhat Byzantine and seem to change on a yearly basis. One thing that is a constant is that if a tronc is in place, then it must be registered as a separate PAYE scheme with HMRC (that is, a different scheme to the payroll).

While I appreciate that compliance becomes more difficult when the rules are somewhat obscure, there are no excuses for not paying the minimum wage. The latter is a very simple law.

One problem we have in the UK is that the rules surrounding tronc schemes are somewhat Byzantine and seem to change on a yearly basis. One thing that is a constant is that if a tronc is in place, then it must be registered as a separate PAYE scheme with HMRC (that is, a different scheme to the payroll).

While I appreciate that compliance becomes more difficult when the rules are somewhat obscure, there are no excuses for not paying the minimum wage. The latter is a very simple law.

I agree. But I had to look up tronc (LOL). Nobody should be payed less than minimum wage.

Back
Top Bottom