Italian Beef Sandwiches

Local time
9:43 AM
Yesterday I was feeling lazy but wanted to make Italian beef sandwiches for dinner. Growing up in Chicago, Italian beef was everywhere. Slow cooked roast beef sliced paper thin, soaked in an au jus and loaded onto a roll soaked in the au jus, often topped with jardiniera or cheese. Not your healthiest of choices, but delicious none the less.

While I haven't been able to master the perfect Italian beef that we used to get from the local hot dog stands, I do have a recipe that normally takes me all day and includes searing the meat and waiting forever to eat it. Yesterday, because I was lazy, I took a 3 pound rump roast, sprinkled it with a packet of Good Seasoning Italian Dressing mix, and put it in the crockpot. I poured a 16 oz jar of Jardiniera over the top and cooked it on low for about 6 hours. I removed the meat and sliced it as thin as I could and put it back in the juices in the crockpot. I added about a cup of water and one cup of strongly brewed coffee and left the crockpot on warm until we were ready to eat dinner (about 2 more hours).

It was delicious! My husband couldn't stop eating it, even though I mistakenly bought the jar of Hot jardiniera instead of medium and his poor head was dripping with sweat. Easy and delicious, I'll be making it this way again!

its something I've seen done the food market in Brick lane London before ,but always makes me think its been reheated to much, so have never indulged ! also to many interesting dishes are available, I cant eat them all!
but I was interested by Jardiniera,as to me its a raised garden pot.........the beauty of a global forum every day is a learning day,
I did a search on it and so now know what herbs and spices are in the range ,but would not have thought the Italians would have it spicy,but tweaking a dish is what makes cooking great

Back
Top Bottom