Italian food

My wife went to Italy last year we had a daughter living there. She brought back all kinds of flavored oils. Oh my gosh, I was that stuff was available here. My wife didn’t really care for authentic Italian food. They went to Germany and Austria and she really loved the food there

My wife went to Italy last year we had a daughter living there. She brought back all kinds of flavored oils. Oh my gosh, I was that stuff was available here. My wife didn’t really care for authentic Italian food. They went to Germany and Austria and she really loved the food there

If you eat at the "tourist" restaurants, I can understand not liking the food. Then again it isn't Italian-American.

Pancotto with rocket salad. Pancotto (bread soaked then cooked)
https://www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk/2019/05/31/pancotto-with-rocket-traditional-apulian-bread-salad/

Between the Forties and the Fifites, a large number of families in Italy were struggling with poverty and hardships; it was not a given to have food on the table every day, and for this reason nothing was ever wasted or thrown away. Moreover, being Italy a country of strong Catholic traditions, bread has always been considered almost sacred, as it represents the body of Christ. Even placing bread upside down on the table was considered a sign of disrespect, akin to placing Christ himself ‘with his face on the ground’.

Rocket is a weed that grows spontaneously all over Italy: one can find some in any olive grove or vegetable garden – and it even grows in vineyards. Rocket usually has a strong and bitter taste, but when it grows in a vineyard it tastes slightly sweeter.

Pancotto con rucola.jpg

Frying garlic and chilli peppers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom