Italian vs American Pizza

Local time
9:33 AM
Okay, so I'm not quite sure if everyday pizza is entitled "American" pizza, but I wasn't sure what else to call it. I've never been to Italy before, but the few authentic Italian places we have around here offer some really cool pizza dishes. I've noticed that the consistency is much different. It seems like Italian pizza has a much thinner crust, and they pay more attention to spices and other ingredients as opposed to thick cheese and whatnot. Most other places I frequent that don't offer Italian pizza, have either really thick or medium crusts, and an equal amount of cheese. I like Italian pizza, but I think I'd have to go with the thicker crusts. What about you? Do you prefer Italian-style pizza overall?

I prefer the thin and crispy type. You get to enjoy more topping before you're stuffed with the bread.

I prefer the European/Italian hand made pizza style with a very thin base and a suitable amount of topping to provide taste, usually a tomato sauce with some cheese, olives, anchovies, or Parma ham.

I really don't like the thick base pizzas with a red coloured 'painted on' sauce, several layers of processed cheese, an excess of other flavourless toppings, and a crust stuffed with yet more processed cheese or hotdog goo.

Both have their own charm. I'd have to say that I prefer the big, 5 different toppings american style pizzas. I did go to Italy and obviously had a pizza there... it was good but it felt so... simple. (and a bit too small for my taste)

But you can have more then one when you want quality and quantity....:hungry:

True. However two pizzas might be pushing it a bit far. And it's not exactly the most economical thing to do, ordering 2 main courses at a restaurant. :D

Actually there is a wide variety of pizza crusts either American or Italian. I prefer the traditional thick crust but I'm very picky about ingredients pizza are stuffed with.

My favorite triple cheese with anchovies, other than this, takes me sometime decide on any combination of the many available.

However as a side note. Italian pizzas were a food for the poor, so the original Italian pizzas were totally far from being the tasty stuffed crust we eat today, and worldwide popular after the Teenage Ninja Turtles movies and TV episodes, LOL

However as a side note. Italian pizzas were a food for the poor, so the original Italian pizzas were totally far from being the tasty stuffed crust we eat today, and worldwide popular after the Teenage Ninja Turtles movies and TV episodes, LOL
Oysters were once a food for the poor too, how things change. :D

It could be said, in the UK at least, that American style pizzas are now food for the poor, along with KFC and McD.:wink:

I prefer Italian pizzas too. The thin crust combined with generous amount of herbs simply tastes delicious.

I have had really delicious authentic Italian pizza in Florence, Rome and Venice. However, I'm a bit of a sell-out because I prefer Americanized pizza. My favorite pizza toppings involve excessive amounts of cheese, pineapple and ham. Although I don't eat it often, I also really like BBQ chicken pizzas. Either way, there isn't anything too authentic about my favorite pizza. But the Italian pizza was delicious and the atmosphere was beautiful! But when I crave pizza I want lots of cheese, pineapple, and crust dip.

My favorite pizza would probably be an Italian Margarita pizza. Although it doesn't have many toppings, the mix of flavors is just right and I prefer thinner crust pizzas anyhow. However, I still enjoy American deep dish pizzas. I'm just pleased that there are lots of different pizza options available these days.

There would be no question it would have to be Italian. I love proper Italian pizza. Its amazingly good.

The problem is even "American" pizza varies by a lot depending on region. The thin crust, Neapolitan "New York" style pizza is way more similar to the kind of pizza you would get in Italy compared to say, something like a deep dish pizza you would get in Chicago.

Back
Top Bottom