It's 3am...you've just finished binge watching a show on Netflix and are starving...

Reveling in the popcorn discussion but jumping back on topic: I like a nice soup late at night. Just broth & veggies. Nothing special. Tons of hot sauce. Maybe that's special? :pepper:

You put hot sauce in a veggie broth? Wouldn't that overpower the mild flavor of the dish?

Oh. no. No, way. I overpower a lot of what I eat with spicy things. I've always been this way. If I can make it hot for myself, I always will. Everyone else in my house gets the lukewarm edition of what I'm making.

I certainly wouldn't cook ANYTHING at that ungodly hour!!
Either I'd make a sammie or get something like a piece of candy or something. :ohmy: :stop:

A small cheese plate with fruit and nuts. I don't like to eat anything heavy late at night. I prefer to have a light snack - just enough food to keep me from being hungry and some water, maybe a half glass of wine.

I'm definitely a breakfast person during the wee hours of the night well into the morning hours. I often have to get up as early as 5am throughout the week to make myself breakfast anyhow because once everyone else gets up in our house, they monopolize the kitchen, so if it were past 3am, I would just go ahead and make breakfast then. I'm pretty traditional when it comes to the breakfast as well - eggs, home fries, sausage or bacon, and toast. I wouldn't feel too guilty about it either though, since I would just go take a nice nap afterwards and not worry about getting up at 5am instead.

The only exception to this would be if I had some leftover pizza or Chinese food that I could reheat. Especially with Chinese food, I can only eat about half of a dinner order of General Tso's Chicken with Fried Rice, before getting totally stuffed and going into a "food coma". But within a few hours, I will be ready for "round 2" to finish the rest of it off. If it's a 14 pizza - I can plow through about half of it, but the same thing, by the time it was 3AM I could easily kill the rest of it.

I would probably make a very nice chuncky chicken sandwich with a lot of cheese, some tomatoes and lettuce. It is quite easy to make. I will eat this one with a nice hot chocolate drink. YUMMY.

Popcorn. We have some really low calorie stuff in the UK which is excellent and whilst it is 3 servings in single bag, each serving is only 80 calories and it takes 3 minutes in the microwave. Best of all it counts as 1 of your 5 a day because it is a vegetable! really it does, check it out!

I love popcorn, i love just getting the kernals and popping them in a pan. As much as I love the microwave stuff I feel like the majority of them have a ton of salt and such so I prefer to make my own. That means I can control how much salt/ butter/ chocolate.... ! I add to it. But then sometimes I am just super lazy and do some grazing grabbing some biscuits, chocolate, crisps or something and can just eat a whole bag/ packet! It always depends on if I am really craving something sweet or savory !

I'd have paused the marathon, and made something to eat while watching. Once I'm finished a marathon, I pass out. Breakfast at 3 a.m. used to be normal for me, so I'd probably default to that, since it's always been my favorite type of meal, although if I had something prepared in the fridge, I'd probably just have that. For me, cooking all depends on my energy level, which is usually low, so I only cook larger type meals a few times a week, and supplement with smaller meals or side dishes.

As much as I love the microwave stuff I feel like the majority of them have a ton of salt and such so I prefer to make my own. That means I can control how much salt/ butter/ chocolate....
I agree that the majority do have way too much added to the, but there is just this one that is slightly sweet, slightly salty and contains very little else. The ingredients are literally maize, oil, salt, sugar (2 forms of) and that is it. A single 20g serving is 80 calories. A packet contains 3 servings, so 120 calories split 2 ways and salt is at 1.12g per 100g. So 3/10th of that 336mg salt. I can also cope with that.
Even my normal plain popcorn comes in at 35 calories per 10g, so a 30g serving would already be 105 calories before I have added oil to pop the corn in and then any flavourings! (1tbsp oil is roughly 120 calories.) Doesn't quite seem worth it really! But it is the only one and it has taken a lot of finding!

Back
Top Bottom