It's that time of year again: Christmas 2021

Roasted potatoes about 3/4 of the way done. Sharing an oven with other dishes, so they'll get the last 10 minutes in a bit.

Read it in school, and like all books you read in English Literature classes, the tutor manages to suck all the life out of it. It is only in the last five years that I have gone to see it performed live, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It is a good one to see performed live. Much better than reading it.

CD

Well, I made a ham today, turned out pretty good so I thought I'd share it. The glaze contains freshly squeezed orange juice from mom's garden, some Coleman's mustard, brown sugar, and honey. The ham was also studded with cloves, but I think I'm going to skip the cloves next year...
View attachment 78090

It has been my experience that the cloves studded in the ham are more work that they are worth. They look "foodie," but you have to put them in, and then take them out. Not worth it, IMO.

CD

I played snooker on Christmas day (and actually won). Despite the department stores and supermarkets pushing the unrecognised festivities here, the two girls looking after the tables wore red. I suggested that although Christmas generally is celebrated in red, they should have Christmas hats to match. One of them immediately ran out and bought a couple.

Yesterday (obvs):

Starter - Salmon Paté wrapped around Smoked Salmon, Avocado and fresh Lemon juice drizzle
2018 Thomas Haag Schloss Lieser Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett

xmas 2021 starter.JPG

Main - Roast Beef, Roast Potato, Carrot
2009 Langoa Barton
(sadly no pic cos it was rubbish)

Dessert - Lemon Syllabub
2017 [de Bortoli] Semillon Dessert
xmas 2021 - dessert.JPG

What? No food pics? Not even a menu? I gotta believe you and yours ate very well today.

CD
The last few weeks have been far too frenetic..we had a very busy time leading up to Christmas at the shop..extra hours every night, stocking shelves, double deliveries, gift baskets, charcuterie trays, cutting prime rib roasts, smoking pork loins, a few catered dinners, 148 tourtiere, .then, we've been hit with the dreaded covid restrictions so a few of the family members cancelled on xmas plans we hadn't even made yet..the kids came xmas eve and we had a lot of snacking but the place was a mess and people basically gathered around the kitchen island and scarfed it all down as it came from the range..it was a feeding frenzy...
By the time Christmas Day rolled around we only had my partner's son so we didn't even set the table..I have a ton of turkey dinner left overs...freezing rain yesterday so we had to cancel a quick visit to her other son's place and have to go today..I'm actually looking forward to going back to work.lol!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom