I've never cooked a dish from....

My brother lives in Guam. He likes to try new stuff and he brings new recipes when he comes for visits. It usually revolve around interesting marinades. Being veggie i like to try a vegetarian version of what he has made. So this particular marinade as i recall he called it a finadenne marinade

Intrigued, I looked up a recipe for this. Ignoring the obvious Genius Kitchen which is in any case inaccessible in the UK, I hunted for a more authentic Guam version. I found this: https://www.guampedia.com/fina’denne’-dipping-sauce/ The website is most informative about the origins and uses of this sauce but I have to say the recipe given is a disappointment:

Fina’denne’: Dipping Sauce

2/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 white onions, diced (green onions or red onions are optional)
4 peppers (donne’), dinache optional

...so soy sauce, onions and vinegar? Can that be it? You mentioned wasabi @oddduck - now that would ramp it up!

I don't think we have ever made anything from the Nordic/Icelandic countries or from the Pacific Islands, except for Hawaii. We've made some North African dishes, but I don't remember specific country. Don't think we have ever made anything from Australia or New Zealand, though Craig did have to go to NZ once for work, and he always tried local cuisines when he was traveling. We've probably made dishes from all the European countries or at least variations since many share same/similar cuisine types.

...so soy sauce, onions and vinegar? Can that be it? You mentioned wasabi @oddduck - now that would ramp it up!

Their are a lot of japanese tourists that come to Guam so wasabi has made its way into the chamorro cooking i think. A lot of the recipes bro brings feature a bit of wasabi. Plus my dad loved spicey dishes so bro tended to bring those ones home cause he knew dad would like them.

Back
Top Bottom