Jamie Oliver's Paella causes outrage

It is 1 of those recipes that have a standard base that can be added to depending on who is cooking and personal taste. I am a big fan of chorizo.
Absolutely,you add what you like and enjoy,but the Spanish purists would say chorizo is terrible to put in paella

Quick Google tells me it is safflower marketed as saffron.

They sell safflower (the plant used to make the cooking oil) in California (where I was born) and the cookbook was a Californian author. Mexicans use safflower. But honestly, it's a horrible spice, much better used for oil than for cooking. It tastes like dandelions (but not in a good way) and has that weird, chewy texture that makes it near impossible to swallow.

Honestly, I'd rather color my rice with food dye.

This is my husbands interpretation of a paella. It contains chicken, chorizo, peas, peppers and mushrooms

P_20161029_181103.jpg

Firstly, I am a native of Barcelona, and the renowned Paella of the this región is called Fideuà, which is a Noodle Paella prepared with a Noodle Called Fideos. They are a short match stick form pasta ..

Valencian Paella dates back to 13th century and is still served in the same manner, on an open flame in the high hill country.

Paella: I have never seen chorizo or any type of sausage employed in Paella on the Iberian Peninsula, however, this does not mean it cannot be done in another country or in your home, if you enjoy fusioning the classic Paella ..

The Classic Paella Valenciana is still prepared with 2 types of beans, snails, game, porc meats, wild feathered games, hillside herbs / vegetation, onion / Green onion and only after the 1600s with tomato and bell peppers.

Saffron is produced in Spain in the Designation of Toledo, 50 km. south of Madrid. I believe it was brought to the country by the Moors in the 800´s ..
or the Romans in the 500s - 600s.

Of course, there are as many types of Paella or Rice Specialties in this región: Valencia, Alicante and Murcia and also going north, Castellon, Tarragona, Barcelona and Gerona. However, the Fideuà is more popular in Cataluyna.

I really can't see what the fuss is all about since Jamie is NOT claiming that his recipe is a traditional paella! The OP gives a classic paella and Jamie is giving his VERSION of it! A version is allowed to stray!

Personally I think the chicken and chorizo combo sounds great but then I am a fan of his style of cooking.

I do use a couple of JO's recipes but don't consider his "style" of cooking is enviable. My wife grimaces at the way he "throws" food around and his use of metal implements on "Teflon" coated pans irritates me. I appreciate that manufactures of said pans provide sufficient for him to throw them away after each use but us mere mortals don't have that luxury.

I do use a couple of JO's recipes but don't consider his "style" of cooking is enviable. My wife grimaces at the way he "throws" food around and his use of metal implements on "Teflon" coated pans irritates me. I appreciate that manufactures of said pans provide sufficient for him to throw them away after each use but us mere mortals don't have that luxury.
When I say I like his style of cooking, I don't mean how it is made but the ingredients, i.e. the rustic style. The finished product always looks really enticing to me. Can't say I regularly try his recipes (or anyone in particular come to that) but I have a few that I have saved for special occasions.

I'm on the fence on this one. I think Jamie is a great cook and has made it his mission to simplify and demystify cooking. He irritates me sometimes with his over messy presentation - but I think he is making the point that we don't have to make plates look perfect. On the down side, rustic dishing up can look a complete mess in the wrong hands!

"Rustic cooking" should never be used as an excuse for making a mess, serving it up and then expecting people to not only accept it, but pay for it.

I like Jamie's rustic cooking as well. I've copied/modified a few of his recipes with success, the best one being herb stuffed and roasted whole fish.

As far as paella goes, the Portugese/Spanish restaurants in America pretty much offer 2 basic versions: all seafood (Paella Marinera), and sausage - often a mild chorizo, chicken, and shellfish (Paella Valenciana).

I'm hoping to go to a new Spanish restaurant new our house on Father's Day in a couple of weeks. I'll have to ask if they have any more versions, possibly the way Francesca mentioned with beans, game, or pork.

I like Jamie's rustic cooking as well. I've copied/modified a few of his recipes with success, the best one being herb stuffed and roasted whole fish.

As far as paella goes, the Portugese/Spanish restaurants in America pretty much offer 2 basic versions: all seafood (Paella Marinera), and sausage - often a mild chorizo, chicken, and shellfish (Paella Valenciana).

I'm hoping to go to a new Spanish restaurant new our house on Father's Day in a couple of weeks. I'll have to ask if they have any more versions, possibly the way Francesca mentioned with beans, game, or pork.

@buckytom,

The Paella Valenciana: This is a historically traditional feast day récipe which is prepared outdoors on a dry Wood fire in a huge Paellera ( metal pan with 2 handles ) .. The ingredients are local historically grown in the Albufera región in hill country. It would be quite difficult to obtain these ingreidents however, here is a basic for the dish. NOTE: José Andreas has an online Spanish product grocery, though not cheap, you can check it out ..
The native indigenious beans used in Valencia, are not exported.

200 Grams of dried lima beans or fava or broad beans soaked overnight.
4 1 /2 Cups stock ( either chicken or meat )
2/3 Cups Spanish Evoo
750 grams of chicken in chunks
1 pound of rabbit or lean porc in chunks
250 grams of fresh Green beans
8 peeled tomatoes red, ripe and firm ( you can de-seed too )
1 teasp of Smoked Pimentón ( Spanish Paprika )
salt of course
12 threads of saffron
2 1 / 2 cups of FALLERA or similar Arborio Valencian Rice

If you want the instructions and full récipe, just let me know and I shall post it ..

Have a wonderful day.

@buckytom.

Paella Marinara is shellfish Paella .. Clams, Mussels, Prawns or Shrimp, Calamar, Scampi ( Norway Bay Lobster) etcetra.

Paella Valenciana: No shellfish or seafood.

Paella Mixta: In many cities, the name, PAELLA VALENCIANA is used, but it is: Paella Mixta = Mixed Paella ..

Have a lovely day ..

Television chef Jamie Oliver has inadvertently angered hundreds of people – most of them Spanish – by posting a link to a unorthodox paella recipe on his Twitter account.

“Good Spanish food doesn’t get much better than paella,” the innocuous-seeming tweet read. “My version combines chicken thighs & chorizo.” It included a link to a web page hosting the full recipe.

The tweet prompted immediate outrage. Furious replies came thick and fast: “Come to Valencia to try the real paella and stop making ‘rice with whatever’”, wrote Spanish journalist Vicent Marco. “Your dish is everything but paella.”

Other critics were less restrained. “Your paella is an abomination,” wrote one. “An insult not only to our gastronomy but to our culture,” said another. There were many, many more.

The biggest problem with the recipe, it transpired, was the inclusion of chorizo, a major no-no.

The Spanish take their paella extremely seriously, and traditionalists are quick to become angry when an outsider tries to improve on their dish.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ngers-spaniards-with-insulting-paella-recipe/

:laugh:
And they are right! Sometimes it seems to me that some "chefs" try to do dishes from other countries without take the right information.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom