Jars, Anyone?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:30 AM
Does anyone else find cute little jars just too damn twee to throw out/recycle?

I've got a long-standing rule of no clutter in the kitchen, but when I see a fat little jug of this sauce or that condiment, I have to buy it, use it, and keep the jar.

I do frequently use the jars for spices and packing things to the office and on picnics, but I really just like them because they're so...so...dare I say it? They're just so darling! :oops:

Here are a few of mine:
3CDDC549-B27E-4406-8A4B-C9A27ACFD202.jpeg

We have 3 large shelves in the pantry filled with empty glass jars. And yes, a lot of cute little (even itsy, bitsy) ones. I do find it hard to throw them away (or recycle). They are great for keeping homemade spice blends in and a lot of other uses. I hate using plastic to store anything in.

I save jars for homemade pickles and chutneys and also for storing spices (I buy them in bags). Mum saves hers for me too so I get quite a selection. I save the coffee jars for large quantities of spice. I'll have to take photos.

Sort of - but I think I've kicked the habit. I just have so much stuff and not enough space so I recycle. Do your jars have lids @TastyReuben?
Yes, and I even know what was in each one.

Annoyingly, the little Yoplait Oui yogurt jars didn't come with lids - I had to order them separately from another maker. Now, though, Yoplait offers lids for sale on their website...just include the lids with the yogurt, already.

One jar I really like is from a yogurt I bought at a Sainsbury's in Cheltenham. It looks like an old milk can and (are you paying attention, Yoplait?) includes a little snap-on lid.

I've just remembered when camping in france for our family summer holiday we would always buy mustard that came in a drinking glass with a plastic lid. We had those glasses for years.

Those are cute. I'd use them for tealights. :) I decorated a few holders with Washi tape.

We recycle our Ball jars for canning, just buying seals and lids as needed. Don't keep jars from store bought stuff. We also use some of the Ball jars to put cilantro and parsley in for storing in the fridge. They are covered with the plastic bags we put them in at the grocery.

I keep a few of the smaller jars, those sample jars or single portion jam jars simply because I usually find I have a small amount of homemade jam or chutney thay doesn't fit into the jars used and a large jar is a waste. Those small ones are ideal fit this and allow use to taste the jam or chutney once cool and matured (some need a few weeks first) without use having to open a larger jar. Well that's my excuse. :whistling:

I had this habit for a while, then I stopped because they were starting to take up too much space, so I threw some of them away or gave them to my neighbor. I only kept those a little prettier in which I put jams or nutella (when I want to do that homemade) or pesto. I have about 4 or 5 but no more.

Most of my jars are, at any given moment, filled with something, usually something that I've pickled. At present, that includes pickled onions and shallots, pickled peppers, dill pickles, preserved lime, kimchi, and pickled beets. I also have jars with oven-dried tomatoes, blueberry barbecue sauce, homemade stone ground mustard, a sort of Ruben sauce, a spicy aioli, and reserved bacon drippings. I don't have many empty jars, and if I do, they don't stay empty for long. :chef:

We recycle our Ball jars for canning, just buying seals and lids as needed. Don't keep jars from store bought stuff. We also use some of the Ball jars to put cilantro and parsley in for storing in the fridge. They are covered with the plastic bags we put them in at the grocery.

What are 'Ball jars'?

Back
Top Bottom