Jury Duty

We all hear of horrible crimes - abuse, rape, murder, terrorism. We are moved. We are upset. Unless it is personal the atrocities are remote. Until you serve on a jury or work for a criminal attorney (SatNavSaysStraightOn ) it is possible to store the horror in a remote part of our minds. When the horror is personal or in your face you can NEVER truly forget or tuck it away. I need to see this predator's face when he is sentenced. I am so glad that he was tried in Federal Court. No parole. He can get time served - 50 days per year. Not enough to make a serious dent on his sentence.
Sexual Predators are broken. They can not be reformed.
You have all heard the stories of how child molesters are treated in prison. They get back what they gave. I am not as good a Christian as I thought. I pray for his daughter but can not pray for his soul. I hope he suffers while in prison and burns in hell when he dies.

Thanks Russ. I've been cancer free for about 12 years now. I would have been in the middle of daily radiation treatments at the time of my jury duty date, so there really was no way I could have served on a jury at that time. The court excused me, with a letter from my treating doctor.

CD
That's great news, a good friends battling it now. Back in hospital as I type. I believe nz scientists have found a gene that will stop one type, it's passed a trial but has others to,follow.

Russ

We all hear of horrible crimes - abuse, rape, murder, terrorism. We are moved. We are upset. Unless it is personal the atrocities are remote. Until you serve on a jury or work for a criminal attorney (SatNavSaysStraightOn ) it is possible to store the horror in a remote part of our minds. When the horror is personal or in your face you can NEVER truly forget or tuck it away. I need to see this predator's face when he is sentenced. I am so glad that he was tried in Federal Court. No parole. He can get time served - 50 days per year. Not enough to make a serious dent on his sentence.
You have all heard the stories of how child molesters are treated in prison. They get back what they gave. I am not as good a Christian as I thought. I pray for his daughter but can not pray for his soul. I hope he suffers while in prison and burns in hell when he dies.

My thoughts exactly.

Russ

Every day I log into the internet, check the news, and wonder if there will be another mass shooting in the news. Sure enough, today there was. So, we'll have a few days of "thoughts and prayers," and go about our business. We won't even try to take any steps to prevent future shootings... massacres. Some of the most "tough on crime" people I know are also against any new gun laws. I don't get it.

I grew up in Port Arthur, Texas. Our "sister" city in Australia suffered a mass shooting, and Australia took action.

Hey, I own guns, and went through a federal background check to buy the ones that didn't get handed down from my dad. I was cool with that. I would have been cool with a background check for the ones my dad gave me. About 97-percent of American gun owners are in favor of universal background checks -- I'm not making that up, fact check it. But congress won't touch it.

By the time a person is selected for Jury duty for a violent gun crime, it's too late do anything but make ourselves feel good for sending someone to prison.

Sorry, just had to say that. I understand if it gets modded.

CD

Every day I log into the internet, check the news, and wonder if there will be another mass shooting in the news. Sure enough, today there was. So, we'll have a few days of "thoughts and prayers," and go about our business. We won't even try to take any steps to prevent future shootings... massacres. Some of the most "tough on crime" people I know are also against any new gun laws. I don't get it.

I grew up in Port Arthur, Texas. Our "sister" city in Australia suffered a mass shooting, and Australia took action.

Hey, I own guns, and went through a federal background check to buy the ones that didn't get handed down from my dad. I was cool with that. I would have been cool with a background check for the ones my dad gave me. About 97-percent of American gun owners are in favor of universal background checks -- I'm not making that up, fact check it. But congress won't touch it.

By the time a person is selected for Jury duty for a violent gun crime, it's too late do anything but make ourselves feel good for sending someone to prison.

CD

Not modding this - its much as I feel although I'd like to see guns banned altogether probably.

CD

We're just changing our laws based on the port Arthur in ozzy answer to the problem. We had 51 Muslims executed here a few months ago in my town, I was 5 mins away from being in the area. I used to,hunt deer with a .308 so I know about guns. To get a license here you need two referees ( well you did 30 years ago.) I was a referee for a mate of mine to get his license. About 10 years later his wife divorced him. I know he wasn't himself so I informed the police. I don't know what happened.
In the states the nra is very powerful, so I don't see you guys changing laws any time soon.
The police here paid out millions for gun handins. Even over the value of weapons.

Russ

Not modding this - its much as I feel although I'd like to see guns banned altogether probably.

I can understand that, and at this point in life, my guns just sit locked up in a closet. I would have a hard time parting with the ones handed down to me by my dad.

I have fond memories of hunting as a young man. Some with my dad. I have one story about hunting with my dad that still makes me LOL today. If someone starts a thread, like "Hunting for Food," I'll post it up. It is kind of wordy, and pretty far off topic.

CD

Back
Top Bottom