Recipe kare-kare

briannagodess

Veteran
Local time
12:23 PM
Mod Edit: Copied from another thread.

Hi! If I may answer your question, the rice is an accompaniment to Kare-Kare. Usually, we always have rice in our meals. As for the recipe, here it is:

Ingredients
  • 3 lbs oxtail (cut in 2 inch slices) beef slices are okay to use too
  • 1 bundle of pechay or bok choy
  • 1 bundle of string beans (cut into 2 inch slices)
  • 4 pcs eggplants (sliced)
  • 1 cup ground peanuts
  • ½ cup peanut butter
  • ½ cup shrimp paste
  • 34 Ounces water (about 1 Liter)
  • ½ cup annatto seeds
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
Recipe

1. Soak the annatto seeds in water. Set aside.
2. Boil water in a large pan.
3. Put the oxtail in the pan along with the onions. Simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
4. When the meat is tender, add the peanuts, peanut butter and water from the soaked annatto seeds. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. On a separate pan, salute the garlic, eggplants, pechay and string beans. Transfer to pan with other ingredients.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve with rice and shrimp paste! Yum!

Some also do not put the veggies until they are going to eat the Kare-Kare already, that's okay too.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a different kind of kare-kare or maybe you had made a typographical error in the ingredients? That's 1 cup of ground peanuts and then there's also the 1/2 cup peanut butter. Isn't it the same thing? Pardon me if I am wrong because I had tasted a variety of kare-kare including that of seafood kare-kare but there is one ingredient that is missing in your recipe. And for me, that missing ingredient is the most important because it is what makes the correct texture for that dish.

I never heard of kare-kare but to the best of my knowledge, I have never been to a Phillipino restaurant, nor have I cooked any Phillipino food. I would try it though. The problem is where I live, it is hard to get specialized ingredients. I really need to go to a larger area to find ingredients like what would be required in that dish.

Back
Top Bottom