Keeping Your Home Organized

helgajones

Veteran
Local time
11:23 AM
Home organization becomes tougher as your family grows, and it is not uncommon for families to give up on the idea of home organization all together. There is no greater feeling than an organized home, and an organized home makes home cleaning much easier of a task. No matter the size of your home and the number of people residing in it, organization is possible, and should be a priority of the homeowners in order to utilize all the space the home has to offer. Here are some tips for keeping your home organized.

Start with cleaning

Before any organizing can occur, a good deep clean has to take place. Clean out closets, drawers, cabinets and every other area that collects clutter. Get rid of items you never use and are unlikely to need. Work your way from room to room de-cluttering so you know exactly how much room you have to work with, and which organization tools you need. Once you have de-cluttered, it is time to dust, vacuum, mop, and wash every area of the home. Cleanliness will keep the air in your home clean as well as prevent unwanted pests.

Organizing tools

Use drawer organizers for every drawer in the home – especially the junk drawer. The more organized drawers are, the less likely they are to accumulate unnecessary clutter, plus everything has a place, making it easier to clean up messes. Use drawer organizers, baskets and small bins to organize your pantry, refrigerator and closets to keep things easy to find. Use a shoe organizer as a home for art supplies, snacks and other items that need a home.

Organizing for convenience

The purpose of organizing is to keep your life simple, so organize simply for your convenience. How to Nest for Less suggests creating a kitchen command center to house notes, keys, grocery lists, calendars and everything else that controls your family’s schedules. Install cheap bookshelves in the mud room or garage to house shoes so they do not pile up in the doorway. Organize your kitchen cupboards so the items you need are easy to find and near where you use them the most.

Teaching children to organize

The best way to keep your home organized is by teaching your children to stay organized. Put child friendly items on lower shelves in baskets or easily accessible bins so when the time comes to clean up, the children can easily put their toys away without help. Put their snacks on low shelves in the pantry, so they know where to find them, and how to put them away. Help them organize their rooms with drawer organizers and baskets in order to encourage continuous organization, and make cleaning up messes fun instead of tedious. Teach children that organization is not a chore, just daily life.

Attachments

• home2.jpg
    home2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited by a moderator:
I like having a place for everything and everything in its place. However, Mr WD is such a hoarder, that it isn't possible. I am a bit OCD concerning certain things and he presses my buttons where a lot of things are concerned.

No matter how I organise things, he acts like a whirling dervish and leaves a mess in his wake. As soon as I organise the pantry, within 24 hours , its a mess again :devil:. Our kids left home a long time ago, so there is no excuse.

You can buy all sorts of really great storage items today. You can use shoe holders for spices/jars/cans if they're those big door sized ones with pockets....or if they are the little hang up in the closet kinds I use them for packets...flour, sugar, pasta, etc.

Also you can buy shelves for shelves....so if your cupboard is twice as high as you need it you can buy things to add more shelves in there, or just DIY with some wood and shelf nails :).

As for kids, my biggest concern is my fiance. He puts things in the weirdest places sometimes! :giggle:

No matter how I organise things, he acts like a whirling dervish and leaves a mess in his wake. As soon as I organise the pantry, within 24 hours , its a mess again :devil:. Our kids left home a long time ago, so there is no excuse.

I know that feeling. It can be clear and obvious where things go one minute, and the next it looks like a tornado went through there and you can't for the life of you remember where things went!

I hit the new kitchen hard... it is even more organised now, than when these pictures were taken a few weeks ago!

DSC_0070.JPG DSC_0071.JPG DSC_0072.JPG DSC_0097.JPG DSC_0098.JPG

The rest of the house used to be organised, but my OH who has had to take over everything since my back went in November is not one of for organisation and I have had to have words about keeping things in the same place which is something he hasn't yet worked out :o_o:. I don't quite understand why the towels have to stay on top of the basket they are meant to be stored in (I can't move them down into it because my back can't do it) or why when he has carried the clean washing back up stairs (something I can't do) he then puts it onto of the set of drawers they are to go in, rather than actually opening the drawer and putting it in there at the time! It is just beyond me in comprehension and ability!

I've had shelving units made for me ,for my needs ,we had areas put in for charging lights ,phones and Garmin's,area that hold baskets for cycling gear etc,a area for rackets ,area for shoes and bags,and does have a desk but always full of school books ,
and then you have the loft ,a dump for every thing you cant part with

:ohmy:I'm not liking this thread at all.... it reminds me of the fridge thread. My problem is that I just don't have enough space to store all the ingredients I have so they end up in a mess (thats my excuse, anyway).:whistling:

I do like to be organized, it saves time when looking for things, if everything is put back where it should be you do not have to take time to search for it because it is where it usually is. In the refrig I like the same thing, please put it in the same place to avoid opening another item because you do not see the one that is open already because it is not where you think it should be and don't see it.

I'm not that good at organizations, or maintaining organization. Usually when an area gets too cluttered I look for things I can get rid of first. I have spaces that are for categories, rather than everything having its exact place.

This is my pantry. I have a tiny kitchen with no room for anything accept pots and pans. There was an old lean to sort of glass verandah on the side of the house that was falling down, so Mr WD knocked it all down to the brick foundations and built a new solid room. It's a bit messy at the moment, so apologies

20150610_094921.jpg

This is my pantry. I have a tiny kitchen with no room for anything accept pots and pans. There was an old lean to sort of glass verandah on the side of the house that was falling down, so Mr WD knocked it all down to the brick foundations and built a new solid room. It's a bit messy at the moment, so apologies

View attachment 999
You call that messy!?

nope, that is very definitely the spare bedroom... (currently homing at least 5 bikes, mountaineering kit, camping kit, tents, and what won't fit into the new kitchen!
We've got 3 sheds full of 12 bikes and camping gear and then spills in to summer house,where my best bikes are is like Fort Knox and is usually organised

Back
Top Bottom