Kitchen ware

Local time
7:46 AM
What kitchen ware do you have more of than you think you actually need, or that you very seldom use?

Where I am concerned, it would be drinking glasses. We have quite a lot of drinking glasses of all styles and types. Wine glasses are also part of this collection. Over the years, we have received sets of drinking glasses as Christmas gifts. There were 2 years in a row in which we received drinking glass sets as gifts. I must admit they are lovely sets, but some of these glass sets have just been put in the cabinet in the same boxes in which they came, since we have quite a number of drinking glasses in use already.

It is good to know that we have a good amount of glasses when guests come to visit, and we can then pull out the best glasses on these occasions. But most of these glasses never get used.

In your case, what would it be?

I don't think we have anything tbh. We have few glasses (too few because I keep breaking I them), enough mugs (just), we bought extra teaspoons because they were always running out, knives and forks are just enough. We do have a set of best glasses which we don't use. We bought them on our honeymoon in Stockholm mumble mumble years ago... They are special to us and I would hate for anything to happen to them, the only reason they are not used is that we simply don't have a need to currently. I guess that might change again with time.

I really can't name anything that doesn't get used...

I have too much of everything, plates, glasses and way too many coffee mugs. My cupboards are full. I rarely use half of it. I should really downsize but I keep hanging on to them for some reason. I could always use the extra cupboard space too. Oh and yest I have too many containers. The funny thing though is whenever you want to use one you can never find the right cover to fit it. Spend half my time looking for the right lid.

In our house where I grew up we had plenty of kitchen wares...plates and saucers, porks and spoons, serving plates and bowls, drinking glasses, drinking cups, glass baking pans and trays..My mother is very organized and she had kept all of this items in our kitchen cabinet in an orderly manner. Those that we are using for our daily needs are the only ones that is placed in our dish rack. Most of our kitchen wares are some of the gifts that my mother had received during their marriage and to think that even with the passage of time they are still there. And some are them are the ones that we had received as gifts from our relatives and friends during some occasions.

Some of the extra things that I have, like the drinking glasses, for instance, are intact and in good enough condition to give away as gifts again. Then too, they can also be sold at some bargain sales. These are ideas that we can consider when it comes to items that we have that are in good condition, but only take up much needed space in our cabinets and are never used. However, I suppose we like to hang on to them, thinking that they may come in handy at some time in the future.

I have way too many glasses. I actually would not have given it much thought if you did not mention it. Wine glasses and the only real wine drinker is my husband. Drinking glasses always get broken so I have on occasion run low on them. Then there are all those old bits and pieces I have had for decades that just take up space. Things you forgot you had until it is mentioned here.

I got rid of much of my glassware as well - not only was it all taking up too much space, getting in the way, and collecting dust, but I just don't entertain that much at wherever I've lived to warrant having so many different kinds of glasses. I used to have martini glasses, oversized wine glasses, glasses for champagne, shot glasses, rocks glasses for cocktails, etc... it was becoming too much. Now I just keep a set of standard tall and short glassware for everyday use, and a few stemless wine glasses, which can also double as a rocks glass for cocktails imo.

I too have a ton of drinking glasses! didn't really think about it till I read your post. We probably have enough for 3 households. LOL! I guess I should get rid of some! also casserole dishes, and serving platters. I think I have like 8 or 9? Lord! we only use maybe 1 or 2 at any given time. OMG I need to have a BIG Clear out!!

I've been out and about working at the beginning of the year and have collected a supply of trade glasses so am well stocked up again ,fancy half pint glasses,pints,challis style but have been selective,we are for ever breaking glasses!

I used to collect glasses, steins, jugs etc., some of which are 50-60 years old, and they never get used. I also have some ordinary pub type beer glasses but they are rarely used these days as most people seem to drink out of the bottle or the can. It's my wine glasses that have suffered. I'm down to my last one - and that was part of a set that came free from the local supermarket as some sort of promotion about 40 years ago!

It may be my fault because I was the one who bought this 4-set cauldron, the stainless steel type that is stored on top of each other. We have a big cauldron and a medium sized pot which we use regularly. We only use the stainless steel cauldron when there is an occasion otherwise they just stay in the storage. My husband had reprimanded me in buying excess kitchenware because he doesn't want any excesses in the kitchen. Our storage is a small room that is almost full.

Back
Top Bottom