Knife & Fork or Hands - Burgers

Yorky

RIP 21/01/2024
Local time
10:42 PM
Following on from @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's thread on eating pizzas, I've recently attempted to re-organise the design of my burgers to facilitate eating them by hand. My original design was to split the bun into three thereby creating a "double decker". However, this was completely unmanageable as the contents would slide around no matter how it was held. Recently I've returned to "single decker" burgers but I still find them difficult to hold and eat without making one helluva mess.

How would you attempt to eat this?

3 s.jpg

I probably wouldn't! But to get it in your mouth you would need to squash it right down meaning the egg yolk and other contents would spurt out.

Slice it in half from top to bottom. Secure halves with toothpicks like a club sandwich. :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't try. It has egg on it!:D Now give me a pulled pork sammie with coleslaw and I'll be doing both, though I'd probably be using my fingers to pick up the dropsies.:porky:

Somewhere in my files, I have a pic/recipe of a giant burger served in between boule bread. Pretty amazing looking. Will try to find it and share.

I get a pretty big burger on Friday nights on the way home from the pub. I take it home and add piccalilli then cut in half down the middle, then squeeze the burger so it fits in mouth, I eat in my hands and scoop up any overflow by my hand. I get a bacon n egg double cheese burger. It's really yummy, hmmm. Now I'm hungry.

Russ

With a big pile of napkins, and wearing a shirt that I didn't care about. This is going to be messy no matter what you try to do. It looks terrific, so I wouldn't want to miss out because of some silly concern about making a mess.

However...if you were to hollow out the top half of the bun (just tear out some of the breading inside), the messy bits would be encased (at least partially) and less likely to fall out. This make it almost a burrito. It would take away the visual effect of the big stack, but it would work. I learned this trick from Chef Bobby Flay.

I'd still want a big pile of napkins and a shirt I didn't care about, though, just to be sure.

Following on from @SatNavSaysStraightOn 's thread on eating pizzas, I've recently attempted to re-organise the design of my burgers to facilitate eating them by hand. My original design was to split the bun into three thereby creating a "double decker". However, this was completely unmanageable as the contents would slide around no matter how it was held. Recently I've returned to "single decker" burgers but I still find them difficult to hold and eat without making one helluva mess.

View attachment 23835
Christ Almighty, it's a whopper! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom