Knife & Fork or Hands

Do you eat pizza with your hands or with a knife and fork?

• Total voters
I'm a bit of both. Usually if I'm at home, I'll eat with my hands. If I'm at a restaurant I'll usually start with a knife and fork and then end up using my hands if it starts getting too difficult.

Sometimes when I'm having pizza when I am out I also see what everyone else does. If everyone else is using their hands then I don't want to be awkward and use a knife and fork.

If I am in a restaurant I always use a fork and knife to eat pizza with. However, if I am eating at home or with my family I always use my hands. Homemade pizza usually requires a fork and knife because it can get pretty messy with all the toppings. I have to agree with keytcee, eating pizza with your hands is always way better and more fun.

By the way, I always eat pizza with my hands. Always, no matter how messy the pizza is. I remember many years ago, when my family moved from California to Maryland, and we went out to eat with a large group, and EVERYONE used a knife and fork. As a young kid, I didn't want to look weird, so I did the same. And, while I didn't look weird, I felt weird. I suspect it all has to do with what you grew up doing.

New Yawk & Brooklyn Style mostly with my hands - folded in half lengthwise with the grease running down my elbows LOL.

I went to a fancy italian restaurant with my boss once, and ate a slice with a knife and fork so I wouldn't drip anything on myself and look like a lady. He was from Chicago, and looked at me like I was nuts, and asked me why I was eating pizza with a knife and fork.

Whether with hands or with a knife and fork, it depends on the context and also on how hot the pizza really is. If I am at my home or with my closest friends, then confidence is such that the cutlery of Adam and Eve take over. If I'm eating out and therefore in a more social context, I cut it with a knife and fork, even though I have the same friends around. But then I reserve a few pieces to grab with hands, usually the crust.

By the way, I always eat pizza with my hands. Always, no matter how messy the pizza is. I remember many years ago, when my family moved from California to Maryland, and we went out to eat with a large group, and EVERYONE used a knife and fork. As a young kid, I didn't want to look weird, so I did the same. And, while I didn't look weird, I felt weird. I suspect it all has to do with what you grew up doing.

I've never had a Chicago style deep dish, but have had Pizza Hut's Priazzo which I ate with a knife and fork. Too bad they discontinued them. The Portofino was my favorite. I won't eat any of the chain pizzas any more.

It definitely depends on where I am, what type of pizza it is and (if dining out) whether they only give you knife and fork or if they give you a pizza cutter too.

Providing its a proper pizza with a thin crispy base then hands is always my preferred method. But sometimes in a restaurant they'll only give you a knife and fork so faced with a whole uncut pizza there's no other option to at least start with the knife and fork (I usually end up using my hands later on though). At home we share a pizza between us so I cut it into slices on a board and we help ourselves with our hands.

When I've had what I call floppy pizzas I use a knife and fork - but this style of pizza isn't that popular around here (I only really see it in Costco) and I'd probably only choose it if there were no better options.

Anyone that uses a fork and knife to eat pizza is not welcome in my home. That also goes for people that cut spaghetti with a knife.

Anyone that uses a fork and knife to eat pizza is not welcome in my home. That also goes for people that cut spaghetti with a knife.

I would never try eating deep dish pizza with out a knife and fork. When I first start eating a calzone or stromboli, it is too hot to pick up.

It depends. If I'm in a restaurant where pizza is not 1 of their main items, I'll use a knife and fork, even if it's a thin/thinner crusted pizza. I did that recently because the toppings on 1 of their 2 specials looked appealing and I started out with hands, but changed to knife and fork because it just felt wrong/uncomfortable to use my hands in that setting. If it's a deep dish pizza, knife and fork only. Otherwise, it's hands.

Back
Top Bottom