Knives

detroitdad

Legendary Member
Local time
11:31 AM
My son did his research and got me this knife for Christmas. He said it fit his budget.

I dont know a lot about knives. This one seems pretty good.

20180204_124707.jpg

Show me what you got?

A knife is a tool. You can't order online or buy for someone else (unless they tell you the exact one to buy). You need to handle a knife before purchase. It could be the most expensive knife in the world, but if it isn't comfortable in your hand, its worthless. If it is uncomfortable to use, your knife skills will never improve. Even if you purchase from the same manufacturer. Maybe a chef's knife from one series is perfect, but the pairing knife isn't. Buying a complete set of a series, is usually asking for trouble and forcing yourself to "make it work", generally results in a lack of interest. Just my $.02.

TBH we prefer the old fashioned steel knives that can sometimes be found it boot sales charity shops etc. People buy a set of 'kitchen knives' and throw out granny's old one which is often sharper [with a little care] and far more efficient. We have one that would do well as a razor [if it were a bit smaller] and it's actually a bit scary - you wouldn't feel the cut until it hit the bone :eek:. However we also have a couple of long serrated type modern ones that are never out of use - sort of a horses for courses thing really.

A knife is a tool. You can't order online or buy for someone else (unless they tell you the exact one to buy). You need to handle a knife before purchase. It could be the most expensive knife in the world, but if it isn't comfortable in your hand, its worthless. If it is uncomfortable to use, your knife skills will never improve. Even if you purchase from the same manufacturer. Maybe a chef's knife from one series is perfect, but the pairing knife isn't. Buying a complete set of a series, is usually asking for trouble and forcing yourself to "make it work", generally results in a lack of interest. Just my $.02.

I agree. Its all about feel - the weight and balance of the knife in your hand. Hence my sticking to the one knife I love. It travels with me!

I'll admit that of all the knives in my Chicago Cutlery set, I usually only use one.

A knife is a tool. You can't order online or buy for someone else (unless they tell you the exact one to buy). You need to handle a knife before purchase. It could be the most expensive knife in the world, but if it isn't comfortable in your hand, its worthless

I agree with you in principle. I have two Japanese knives that were ordered on-line. I am beyond happy with them. I was fortunate to get excellent advice from two of my brothers. They are both knife aficionados. One of them makes knives. They both have Japanese knives that I used before ordering mine. I had some criteria - I wanted a carbon blade with a stainless clad, a hexagonal handle, slightly blade heavy. I have nerve damage in my arm and hand. The slightly blade heavy knife allows the blade to do more of the work. They both have larger knives - close to 10". I did not want one that large. My chef knife is closer to 8". I recently acquired a boning knife - shorter with a deeply curved blade and a very fine point. Another gem!

you wouldn't feel the cut until it hit the bone

My knives are not technically razor edged although you could shave with them. A true razor edge is too delicate for the kitchen. When I visited Brother in Colorado he sharpened my knives. Because he makes knives he has professional quality sharpening equipment. He put a micro bevel on my knives. You are correct - either would cut you to the bone in the blink of an eye. A tool that demands a great deal of respect.

When I acquired my chef knife Brother made a horse butt strop for me. I treat it with 50,000 grit Diamond Paste. I use it every time I use my knife. For touch up sharpening I use a Spiderco sharpening tool. Once a year I send my knives to Brother for a professional sharpening.

A good, well maintained knife is a joy. A true thing of beauty.

My Niece's husband worked as a prep chef for Brennan's in Houston. He banned my Niece from touching his knives when he found that she had put them in the dishwasher.:hyper:

Last edited:
I agree with you in principle. I have two Japanese knives that were ordered on-line. I am beyond happy with them. I was fortunate to get excellent advice from two of my brothers. They are both knife aficionados. One of them makes knives. They both have Japanese knives that I used before ordering mine. I had some criteria - I wanted a carbon blade with a stainless clad, a hexagonal handle, slightly blade heavy. I have nerve damage in my arm and hand. The slightly blade heavy knife allows the blade to do more of the work. They both have larger knives - close to 10". I did not want one that large. My chef knife is closer to 8". I recently acquired a boning knife - shorter with a deeply curved blade and a very fine point. Another gem!

My knives are not technically razor edged although you could shave with them. A true razor edge is too delicate for the kitchen. When I visited Brother in Colorado he sharpened my knives. Because he makes knives he has professional quality sharpening equipment. He put a micro bevel on my knives. You are correct - either would cut you to the bone in the blink of an eye. A tool that demands a great deal of respect.

When I acquired my chef knife Brother made a horse butt strop for me. I treat it with 50,000 grit Diamond Paste. I use it every time I use my knife. For touch up sharpening I use a Spiderco sharpening tool. Once a year I send my knives to Brother for a professional sharpening.

A good, well maintained knife is a joy. A true thing of beauty.

My Niece's husband worked as a prep chef for Brennan's in Houston. He banned my Niece from touching his knives when he found that she had put them in the dishwasher.:hyper:

The best fillet knives and boning knives I've ever used were Forschner knives by Victorinox (the company that makes Swiss Army knives). Some of which I purchased reground and in a bargin bin for $2.00 to $3.00 each.

Back
Top Bottom