Kumquats anyone?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
9:42 PM
I thought I'd eaten kumquats in the past but it seems not because I ordered some recently and I certainly don't recognise the taste. They are totally delicious and manage to combine a perfumed taste with a slightly edgy bitterness. You eat them whole and they look like tiny oval oranges. I think they are spelled 'cumquats' down under.

I love them.

I tried growing the oval variety as it’s hardier in the cold & frost but not hardy enough.

There’s a variety of spherical shaped ones too. Taste the same. Seen less often as they aren’t as productive or hardy.

My DD had a tree in the backyard of where she used to live. They were very good. Had never had them before her tree produced. I'm afraid to buy them though, that they might not be as good .

My DD had a tree in the backyard of where she used to live. They were very good. Had never had them before her tree produced. I'm afraid to buy them though, that they might not be as good .

The ones I bought are imported from Italy. They weren't cheap: £3.50 for 250g. Thats about $4.5 for 8 ounces.

Maybe kumquats just aren't good around here because I tried them once, and the taste was 99% bitter with maybe a faint suggestion of citrus.

Ok, I just Googled them. They look kind of pear-shaped, but they kind of resemble oranges also. :whistling:

Last edited:
I love them. so much so, i planted a tree. in three years, I have eaten 7 kumquats from the tree. I have 5 ready this year, so the tally will go up to 12!

My aunt in Texas has a tree in her yard, I love them!

Heard of them, never seen or tried. Hmmm

Russ
The first time I ever had one my dad bought some, back when I lived in Florida and I was probably about 11. They were so good! I was a bit hesitant about eating the skin and all, but really liked it!

Back
Top Bottom